Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 04:34 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Flopped Nut Straight

It's very early in the tourney. I've been super tight so far, MP3 has played in his share of hands, hasn't shown down.

What are your thoughts on the flop bet? What's the proper price to make them pay for the next card? Should I be pushing this? And what hands are calling this raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t1175)
Hero (t915)
Button (t135)
SB (t580)
BB (t585)
UTG (t955)
UTG+1 (t2740)
MP1 (t1795)
MP2 (t1970)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t40</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t40, Hero calls t40, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t150) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls t245.

Turn: (t770) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t835 (All-In)</font>,

How often is he playing AJ/KJ/QJ/flush draw this way? Often enough to call?

Hero calls t575 (All-In).

River: (t2180) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2180
Old 01-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Flopped Nut Straight

I think your pre-flop and flop play is correct. You obviously have to be concerned with a flush draw on the flop so a pot-size raise (which you made) would be "proper" against several opponents.

I think you still have the best hand on the turn. I would put him on a J but you obviously have to be concerned with a full house. It's possible that he has JT, but he could also have AJ, KJ, or QJ at this stage of the tourney. And if he made the boat, I think he'd check and let you bet. So I think more often than not you have the best hand and should call on the turn.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: Flopped Nut Straight

That was my thought as well. "If he filled up on the turn, he'd want to give me a free card in case I was on the flush draw." I put him on AJ/QJ.