Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-27-2004, 08:40 PM

Default NL Psychology

I am NOT a NL player by ANY STRETCH of the imagination, I have done very well playing NL though especially in Las Vegas in a very little known or frequented rather place called "The Town Tavern" I believe? Its been a while now, its on the Northside and the game had a peculiar structure that I noticed right away and so I thought I would give it a shot, the thing was that I figured with a $20.00 buy-in all I had to do was play broadways, Ace-suited's and 9's up in pairs and wait to grab the nuts and see who would call, it was amazing how laid back the game was and they would just let you hang in there until the river b4 they made "the bomb" bet and that was fine by me with my strategy.......needless to say I never bluffed and just robbed them in this manner.

Ok, so NOW remembering that time I decide to try online NL games specifically the$50 limit and its actually 180 degrees different in the thinking or Psychology if you will. I would like a little input from anyone as to what the proper mindset should be in this game, I have been getting not exactly killed but I am def losing so far and Im not a losing player by any stretch of the imagination so its really bugging me. For instance, I will open with say an A-Q, I will hit the A, its obvious to the table that I am playing fairly tightly and so they may feel as though I am a newbie (which I am) or intimidated (which I am a bit) and they are using it against me, the hand will go as follows, I will bet after hitting the A say $5 and get called by 1-2 players the board of course will have some sort of a draw or 2 to a flush and then after the turn card is played I will again bet the $5 and get raised, this is happening VERY frequently and I am almost sure that it is indeed a bluff so the raise will be say to 20.00 and Ill drop the ball! I know I cant continue like this but the few times I make the call I will go down in flames against 2 pair or the board will show 4 cards in a row to a straight and this happened my last hand, I had KJd, board comes JQK (2 hearts) against 2 players, so at that point I am going to have to eat it is all if someone has me beat with the straight or a QK however the turn was the darned 10c and so I check in this spot and I KNOW it showed weakness but if I bet I am thinking I know they are playing big cards and any 9-or-A beats me what else can I do in the spot? If I bet and check the river I may lose even more money and then feel I must call and I HATE to call when I am almost sure I have the worst of it going in, the guy with the better position btw makes a $27 bet and I and the guy behind me both folded so I never got to see his hand.
Am I totally wrong here? Do I just have to "eat it" and call? There was another card to come and I was thinking it could be the heart and I guess in other words I am almost looking for ways to lose and yes, becoming intimidated although I KNOW these guy's are taking advantage, I just couldnt get into one of those spots where I could take their head off with the nuts, I was dying to see another K or J show up prefereably in Hearts! lol, so I dunno is there a general mindset that I should know about, is there a way to pick up on anything from the betting, say for instance after the flop if they feel they are that strong wouldnt they have raised then? Once I bet they know I have a hand cuz Im playing tight so that is Y I guess I feel they have the hand. Ya know like when your playing with that old-rock who almost never bluffs in a limit game and he comes out betting with a pair on the board after the flop, you can be surte he has a set where almost anyone else would check it and try to draw you in with that hand like a good player should in most cases. I am a really good tournament player but its nowhere near the same tournament money is meaningless and cannot cost me more than the buy-in, what can I do?
Thanx

I know this was a long post but there was no other way to explain it all! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: NL Psychology

Hey Shutup,
SHUTUP!!

u ARE A moron bro!!

I just read this post and I was prob the 1st one too, Y dont U write a book next time instead. So you played a lil NL and got your head handed to you playing with the maniacs online huh? Well welcome to the club, the thing about NL is you dont EVEN MAKE A BET unless you flop 2 pair and have the best draw, almost kind of like playing at the Town Tavern. Only Vegas people know what I am talking about there and 2B honest most of them are way 2 scared to go to the Yown Tavern!! lol
So, anyway I now have this game solved pretty well. yes there were some bumpy moments and a lot of learning involved but its just like anything else, people seem to bet in patters and I wont explain this but I am talking about when they bluff or how the bet a winning hand and THIS is what U need to pick up on, the best players can disguise this but others arew 2 dumb to know they even do it and its a big part of what makes them losrs in the longrun.