Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Thanks For The Comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also suprised none of you considered it significant that he has been accused of cheating in the game. I was probably being generous in portraying it as a mere accusation, almost all of the regulars were sure that he was cheating, and I was about 75% sure he was....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that you think that the cheating allegation is relevant, since this means you believe that it is O.K. to possibly ignore a legitimate debt simply because he had been accused of cheating in the past. This would seem to be a curious position to take for someone who is attempting to use the concept of laches to avoid this debt, since one could argue that your willingness to remain in the game with this person long after the cheating allegations were made would mean that you did not believe these allegations (or that you are too stupid to stay away from a crooked game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there fella, it not even nine o'clock in the morning and I'm being called stupid. I've got my old lady for that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was trying to point out that if he is indeed a cheat, the debt may not be "legit" at all. As far as whether he is or isn't, I seem to be in the minority who have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because only becasue I've been winning in the game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Thanks For The Comments

Cheaters are losers more often than you'd think.

-Magnus
Old 10-01-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Need Help On Home Game Ethical Issue Re Markers!!!

I find it kind of funny that a bunch of grown men, professionals yet, can't keep track of what each of debt's are. If I were you, I would ask the other regulars what they think. You may need to repay it to keep good standing with the group. You should also make a statement that anyone else with outstaning markers should present them now or you will not honor any other old markers.

In college we used a "marker" system and each marker must be written and signed by the debtor. In addition, each person holding these markers were required to bring them for the next session and the makers were ripped up after repayment. Of course now, we don't use markers as everyone has jobs and a checking account. My suggestion is to require everyone playing to bring a check book and clear all debt at the end of the session.
G$
Old 10-02-2004, 01:51 AM

Well....

Welcome to the world of gambling on borrowed money. You got yourself in a tough spot. You're talking about an a mount of money that I would NEVER borrow from a friend, especially for gambling, so it's hard to relate to your quandry.

Trying to put myself inyour shoes, I guess I would ask myself one question: Is it at all possible that this marker is legit? It seems to me that it would be more likely that he'd have several markers that added up to $260 than 1 marker for the full amount. I'm not familliar with your game's customs, but it sure seems like an odd amount.

If it's at all posible that it's legit, then you pretty much have to honor it - unless you guys have an agreed upon statute of limitations fo recovery of debts. I know that I would readily remember such a debt occurring. I suppose you could ask some of the other players if they remember such a transaction, but I guess that's pretty much irrelevent.

I hope you've learned your lesson.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So what do I do? Do I pay off the marker and feel like an easy mark? Do I tell him to f*ck off, and feel like an a**hole? Or do I work out some sort of compromise?

Thanks for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who gives a F**K! You're both a-hole lawyers, aren't ya?

HAAAAAA!

Send me a bill.....I'm rich biyatch!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:38 PM

BTW, now that I think of it, only an oily group of lawyers would play with markers.

I think you should sue him.

HAAA!

I'm still rich, biyotch!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:42 PM

I'm surprised that you wouldn't remember a marker even if it was from 7 months ago. You say you've only been playing about every other month now so this is 3 or 4 sessions ago. I tend to remember most of my gambling ups/downs for a long time, particularly the downs. Maybe I just fixate on poker too much...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:12 AM

I say you pay him, but make sure everyplayer at that table knows about it