Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Internet Poker books

Has anyone read Matt Hilgers book on Internet Poker? Would you recommend it?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Internet Poker books

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone read Matt Hilgers book on Internet Poker? Would you recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and Yes! I find the starting hand charts to be the best organized and detailed of any I have seen (and I've gone one step beyond and incorporated the info into an easy to see 'hold em arrow' that I saw in another book recently) for the relative beginner. It is VERY well organized with good advice and detailed hand examples.
At 300 pages I believe it covers more than SSH (too much white space--a 'fault' of most 2+2 books) in it's 350+ pages. It is well written and has a number of 'internet tips'.

In comparison with SSH (I have to say I'm only on page 95 of SSH but have skimmed the rest), it is clearly not a radical rethink of low limit play, but you WILL make $$ following it's advice. It is my favorite general Hold Em book, though you will find books that might have better coverage of this or that topic...it's all around pretty darn good. I think I read a review on this site where S or M gave it a "7"...which probably means it's an 8 or better out of 10 as it's not a 2+2 book. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Also, the cover has all other poker books of any variety beaten hands down. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes and Yes! I find the starting hand charts to be the best organized and detailed of any I have seen (and I've gone one step beyond and incorporated the info into an easy to see 'hold em arrow' that I saw in another book recently) for the relative beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is this 'hold em arrow' you speak of? Sounds interesting. What book was that from?

BTW, I have Hilger's book and WLLH. As a rank beginner (less than 1000 hands online), I'm finding both a little difficult to absorb. Starting hands seem straight forward, but my eyes start to gloss over after that. I'm probably just not ready to digest the finer points, but can't help thinking there must be a more unified way to present this stuff. But what do I know, really. I'm focusing on Hilger's book for now - I find the large number of examples and long quizzes helpful.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:32 PM

IMHO, the most thorough and well written beginner/intermediate limit hold'em book out there (no comparison to SSE b/c SSE is more of an advanced book).

Much more comprehensive than WLLH. If I had to choose one book for my first full year of hold'em..this would be it.

The books gives an excellent discussion on pot and implied odds and detailed analysis and quizes on almost every type of situation you will be faced.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:51 AM

I'd agree with the other posters. This is a very good poker book. I was surprised when I browsed through it.

For those starting out, it gives clear instructions on proper play. It clearly explains basic poker concepts, and the charts on outs and various odds are helpful and easy to understand.

Much of the info in this book is covered in TOP, Hold Em, and HEPFAP. But this book is helpful because of the numerous hand quizzes that help you to go over the information. It won't replace 2+2, but it will help to reinforce the concepts.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Which book do you guys like better internet texas hold em by hilger or middle limit hold em poker by ciaffone?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I have Hilger's book and WLLH. As a rank beginner (less than 1000 hands online), I'm finding both a little difficult to absorb. Starting hands seem straight forward, but my eyes start to gloss over after that. I'm probably just not ready to digest the finer points, but can't help thinking there must be a more unified way to present this stuff. But what do I know, really. I'm focusing on Hilger's book for now - I find the large number of examples and long quizzes helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi, pastabatman. I too find the finer points in Hilger's book difficult to absorb. There are just too many of them. I am still crunching through my first 1000 hands online in $.05-.10 games. I intend to sit through 5000 hands or so before I try to step up in any raked game. What is your plan?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:47 AM

I have read both and I would say Hilger's book is the better book for someone starting out and want to learn good fundamentals, theory combined with practical applications (in the hand quizzes).

Middle Limit Holdem is not a beginner's book. It is geared for an experienced player and is designed to help you read hands and get a feel for where you stand in certain situations. Despite some of the criticisms from other 2+2 posters, I still believe that Middle Limit Holdem is a good book. This book, however, is mostly hand quizes. Some of the answers may be wrong or debatable but if you look beyond that and look at the reasoning behind the decisions and make your own judgements then I would say it is still a valuable book. This book is not a beginner's book and is probably best read after you have some solid experience under your belt.

If I were to start limit hold'em from scratch, I would buy and read these books in order:
WLLE - still the best beginner book out there b/c it quickly moves you from total beginner to competent player able to avoid too many problems.

Internet Texas Hold'em - really covers a tremendous amount of material that can easily take you from rank beginner to advance.

Theory of Poker - enough said

Then, after absorbing these books and gaining solid game experience, I would read and study these books:

The Play of Hands - the best book on hand reading and understanding the thought process of a real pro. I consider this book essential.
Middle Limit Holdem
SSH - only half way through but I can already tell it is a must read
HEFAP
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Hi Philipj,
[ QUOTE ]
I intend to sit through 5000 hands or so before I try to step up in any raked game. What is your plan?

[/ QUOTE ]
No fixed number. Just want to get to the point where I'm playing some semblance of what's described in the books, and doing better than breaking even. Right now I'm playing a little, reading a little, just to have some fun, and trying to start applying the concepts. My problem is there is so little time to act in a .5/1 game, it's impossible for me determine all my outs, much less discount them properly. So I end up playing by 'feel'. Seems like my 'feel' is playing smarter, but I'm shooting for something much more grounded.

Cheers,
Pasta
Old 08-06-2004, 01:00 PM

"What is this 'hold em arrow' you speak of? Sounds interesting. What book was that from?"

The Hold Em Arrow is a visual concept introduced by (as I recall) Bill Burton in his book, Getting the Edge.... The book itself is only ‘so-so’ and I have not bought it; but there are a couple of good things in there, one being this easy to understand visual concept.

Basically, if you graph the playable starting hands for a given seating position from left to right into three sections: Suited (on top), Pairs (middle) and off-suit (underneath pairs) you get an arrow pointing to the right. Just glance at it in a bookstore and you will see what I mean. I have simply augmented it in an Excel spreadsheet with what I consider the best advice on how to play each starting hand—I stick pretty close to Hilgers advice (call only with 4 or more people in for 87s in a late position, unraised pot, for example—easily denoted in a cell under the hand with Call 4) but may supplement it with Millers and have ‘Arrows’ for both tight and loose games. The concept is easy to follow and I think it is the ultimate reference chart for the beginner. I should bottle and sell it…though undoubtedly someone will not put it in a book and sell it for $24.99…

While I am sure some may diss the very idea of keeping a chart in front of you. For online poker I find it great and I also use a handy reference chart taken from another new book (it may have been Carsons book or Braids) that gives me what the pot size needs to be in order to make a bet based on x number of outs—no more calculating (except the outs) and mentally comparing—simply check the amt of the bet with one card (or two) to come, check that against the number of outs and you see the two converge at what the pot size needs to be in order to make the call. Simple. I find that I can use these charts to free up my time to concentrate on other parts of the game and more easily play multi-tables--lets face it, in online poker, the play is fast and furious so you need all the free time you can get to think about your game!