Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Passing top pair, good kicker on Party - is it possible?

"That's got to be suicide in those games, especially in a pot that big."

again limited hours but my experience was that when they raised on the turn they had it. i read on here all the time about how people are always making moves on party and the best thing to do it call, call, call w/ top pair, but i just did not experience that at all. this raise on the turn means two pair minimum a great deal of the time and it's rarely a move, that's what i saw happening online.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Default first time ive ever agreed with clarkm-ster

who'da thunk it?
Old 06-13-2004, 12:53 PM

You are right that you need to beware of making big laydowns on the river in limit HE. Think about it this way...paying him off is a one bet mistake. Folding to a bluff/worse hand is an 11 bet mistake, i.e. catastrophic.

RH
Old 06-13-2004, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it this way...paying him off is a one bet mistake. Folding to a bluff/worse hand is an 11 bet mistake, i.e. catastrophic.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think about it this way, you're wrong. Calling a bet on the river is almost never a full BB mistake. And unless you have the nuts (with no possible tying hand), folding doesn't cost you the whole pot.

This "big mistake, little mistake" that people love so much is theoretically incorrect and based on faulty assumptions.

EDIT: That's not to say I think folding is right in this hand.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"That's got to be suicide in those games, especially in a pot that big."

again limited hours but my experience was that when they raised on the turn they had it. i read on here all the time about how people are always making moves on party and the best thing to do it call, call, call w/ top pair, but i just did not experience that at all. this raise on the turn means two pair minimum a great deal of the time and it's rarely a move, that's what i saw happening online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It seems to me that Party 15/30 has been underrated and and also judged to uniformly on this board. There are usually 10-15 games going on and most of those are somewhat tight with only a couple of fish. Against some opponents I 3-bet here (I agree with Clark that this is superior to calling) but against unknowns I fold on the turn.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is at Party
You have top pair with big stick
This means do not fold

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a while on Party 15/30 to figure this out. It was a very hard adjustment to make, because it's so counterintuitive to everything I learned playing in live games.

It also took me awhile to adjust to the flop and turn play that you can expect 100% of the time as a preflop raiser on a ragged board:

check-bet-call
check-bet-raise
Old 06-13-2004, 04:12 PM

Default I agree, rigoletto

I agree with rigoletto. The full 10 handed 15-30 games ( i counted 40 of them Sat. night) are not as easy as perhaps we've (i.e. myself) have led people to believe.

If I log on after a miserable day of work and go into "grudge mode" (can't remember where I heard this phrase but it fits), I do terrible. In other words, if I try to be overly aggressive and bully people, it goes south (just like in the B & M rooms).

There are many very good players on the site, who deserve respect and will defeat good players who are having a bad night or who underestimate the competition.

Joe
Old 06-13-2004, 04:55 PM

Imagine that you can see your opponent's cards, calling a bet on the river if you don't have the best hand is a 1 BB mistake. Folding to the river bet if you do have the best hand is a 11 BB mistake.
In reality, because you don't know what your opponent has, you have to "guess", and things even out in the long run to be either +EV or -EV depending on how good your "guess" is.