Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Too aggressive?

Feeling that Im missing opportunities to maximise EV against some of the weak players on Party Ive been looking to increase my aggression...but is this too much? Interestingly my foe in each case was the same guy, based on 50 hands, 32% VIP/7.5 PFR.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls , UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks,UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, SB folds, UTG 3-bets, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 caps, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, UTG+2 3-bets, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB doesn't show.
UTG+1 doesn't show.
UTG+2 shows 5c 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Hero shows Kd Ks (one pair, kings).
CO doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 24 BB. </font>

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Raise(30)]MP1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, SB folds, MP1 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 calls.

River: (13 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB doesn't show.
UTG doesn't show.
MP1 shows Jh Ts (straight, queen high).
Hero shows 9d 9c (three of a kind, nines).
SB doesn't show.
Outcome: MP1 wins 19 BB. </font>
Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

Not a big fan of raising the turn in hand one after the flop capper leads into you, Looks like something better than AJ, I'd call down from there. Hand 2 looks standard, just ran into some flopped nuts. Happens.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:56 PM

When the weak player caps the flop in the first hand, you should be at least a little scared. I think raising the turn is still ok sometimes, but the river raise is clearly ill advised, and it's possible you can even fold on the turn.

Hand 2 you failed to realize that when a weak player is betting strong and could have JT, they will [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 05-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Hand 1: Raising the turn is ok, but consider I'd consider laying down to the 3-bet against a weak/passive opponent, either that don't raise the turn but just call him down after he caps the flop. River raise was definitely ill-advised.

Hand 2: After you cap the turn (which is fine), and he bets into you again on the river, just call.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:42 AM

It seems like capping the flop + betting out on the turn if no flush card hits is almost always a set in a raised pot. I would've called the turn and river. If it was 3 bets on the flop and then he bet out the turn, then I would've raised, as it's usually something much weaker.

On the second hand, I would've raised the flop as you're giving away your hand on the turn if you wait to raise. Also, as Bartholow mentioned, if it looks like JT, it is, always. I have no idea why this is, but it's remarkably reliable in my experience.

It's good to be aggressive, but after you raise preflop and people start going to war with you, you need to give them credit for good hands on occasion. Both were far too reckless unless you have a superb feel for your opponents. It's ok to call down with big hands when the situation calls for it.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Thanks all

I guess the consensus is that the river plays in each case were too aggressive, which I agree with....with one proviso...in the first case, assuming he is weak, he will struggle to reraise me as a str8 has apeared. Obviously if he was competent he would see that I couldnt have it, but I felt the parlay of AJ vs two pair (his most likely hand) was that the raise on the river was a bit of a wash. Anyway, tx again and time to reign in those raises a 'lil.