Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Live 2/5-- AJo

Borgata 2/5. Game is pretty good, with not a lot of raising, mostly weak spots, and little tricky play.

1 very weak, strange, bad player(300) limps to me, and I limp in late MP with AJo. Player behind me with about 500 calls. SB completes and BB(400) who has lost a few pots and could be steaming a bit(not likely to dump his whole stack off with nothing, but could make a weak bad call now) checks. I covered all

Flop is Jd9c5d and I have AJ no diamonds. BB leads for $10, early player calls(could be any pair, or draw), and action is on me. What should I do?

I seem to have a lot of trouble playing one pair hands, in deciding whether or not to a) play on and b) how to play it. If anyone has some good guidelines, that would be great. I think in this case the chance that I am ahead is fairly good, but I am unsure how to play it. Do I need to wait for a safe card on such a draw heavy board before committing more chips? I know that if I had a hand like JTs in this spot, any raise would be half bluff/half value, as I may not be ahead, and could knock someone off a better(or the same) jack.

Anyways, I raised to $45 total, and they both called. The pot was around $150, and the turn was a 6. They check to me, and I bet $100. I don't think I bet enough in retrospect, but should I move in in that spot to shut out the draws? I thought if I were raised on the turn, I was likely against 2 flopped pair from the BB, and could fold. Would I have been better off waiting for a blank turn to make any move at all?

Thanks for your help.
Jason