Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-06-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Battle of the blinds, totally lost

Villain is a bit crazy, potting it postflop all the time on flop and turn. Because of this almost never goes to showdown so I have no idea what to do here.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($134.38)
MP ($217.95)
CO ($355)
Button ($251.05)
Hero ($303.45)
BB ($241.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

Flop: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $17.1</font>, Hero calls $17.10.

Turn: ($52.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero checks, Villain bets pot, Hero pushes.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Battle of the blinds, totally lost

I might lead that turn...
Old 12-06-2005, 05:44 PM

What's your reason for pushing the turn?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 PM

Do you think villain would fold a better queen? What about call with a worse one?

If either of those are "yes", then I like the push. You really need a "yes" however, as you have about 28% equity(at best)if he folds worse queens and calls with everything better.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think villain would fold a better queen? What about call with a worse one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I know he doesn't need to have a Q to make that flop bet though, and could certainly just have a J.

[ QUOTE ]
If either of those are "yes", then I like the push. You really need a "yes" however, as you have about 28% equity(at best)if he folds worse queens and calls with everything better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 06:29 PM

I like.

very high variance play but against right guys, this is very profitable.

I don't like leading the turn as you have a very tough time if he comes over the top and this guy seems like somebody who is able to come over the top on a bluff.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:30 PM

These types of players will never fold a better queen in this spot. Pushing is fine though, since I want to beat him into the pot and not let him bet me off my hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:41 PM

If he's bluffing, why not continue to let him bluff? Its not likely that he has alot of outs against you if you are ahead, and if you're behind its gonna get a little ugly anyway.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 PM

i run into guys like this. obviously it is better if there has been a showdown so u have a better idea of what villain is willing to back his stack with. having said that, the fact xorbie has TP3K is almost (but not quite) a non-issue here. assuming this guy is the type; there are maniacs who: love to raise pf, auto pot flop, auto pot turn REGARDLESS of the values in their hand. (they also fall in love with doing it and do it way to often...like pfr 20%.) since we know/suspect he is taking this action with any two he is raising with...u can call flop checkrz turn all in with any two and he just cant call unless he actually has a hand this time (i.e. i submit hero can show a profit doing this against villan with any two cards...math guys feel free to correct me...assuming 15-20% pff).

of course if u have top pair then it is even better, b/c they are aware and will loosen their calling standard. therefore, sometimes villan will call with a hand we beat, and he calls with anything that beats us.(i am contending that the times he folds/calls with somethning like A10 makes up for the times he has AA/AQ etc.; plus metagame) since we have a pair and not air we do have some equity the times he calls with hands that beat us.

now i am sure u are thinking....hey savman, if we think we are ahead here why not call and let villain bluff his chips to us. i am glad u asked. first, we dont have any information on villain river play. for all we know he gives up on A high after the turn. if we knew he fires all in on any river all the time then we should probably call. but it takes a true maniac to fire three barrels on complete air (which is essentially all we beat) and if villain is unwilling to put anymore money in the pot unimproved then we should push to close him as he will frequently be drawing live. additionally, the pot is going to be huge, we have no info on his hand, and if i am calling turn i am calling river. [insert line about river action being -EV] if we had a stronger holding, like a boat or set, i would just call and take my chances on him firing again with air/hope he has a decent hand/hope river improves him to a second best hand. also, raising is better for metagame regardless of whether he calls.

edit: some of this seems conflicting when i reread it so feel free to rip it apart. i will try and get my thoughts together better.