Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: T9s, a hand v Hobbs.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I think Hobbs will raise this turn with 55-88 intending to take a free showdown

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this answers your question.
Bet with the intention of not getting raised?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy will value bet a needle into the head of a pin.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? you mean bet a camel into the eye of a needle?
thought you had sunday school in the states [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Copincidentally, Hobbs is sitting to my right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean your left -- he's UTG+1, acting after you, correct?

Anyway, I guess I'm alone in preferring a check-call on this river. He may often see your river bet as a blocking bet, intending to fold to a raise. So that makes me skittish about bet/folding. But most of the time he raises this river you're behind, so bet/call doesn't seem desirable.

Checking allows him to do what Hobbs does best -- value bet his ass off. This guy will value bet a needle into the head of a pin. Let him do it, then snap it off with your top 2. If he has you beat, you lose 1 BB. If not, he slaps himself for not taking the free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this because I think he bets when checked to nearly all the time. You appear to have a busted draw, and you let him do your value betting for you.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM

seems theres a good chance he will check behind here if he has a mid pp. i like a bet.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:50 AM

Yeah, this is a bet call.

For interested parties, due to a tell I had on Hobbs---he typed "Ship It" in the chat box after the river card appeared--I only check-called, and he showed me 22 for the flopped boat. But, sans this subtle, subtle tell, seems like a(nother) easy bet call, which wuld have made three bet-calls on one hand for me, which would have been special.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 AM

I actually don't raise the river very light all the often and would be much more inclined to fold to a river donk with 55-88 if I had raised the turn for a free showdown (which is a play I do enjoy).

I should also point out that A4s is not out of my limping range UTG1 after an UTG limper given the table conditions at the time.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:09 AM

donk it one more time.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 AM

So Brett already posted results, but I will basically limp all pairs after one limper and generally expand my range in attempts to encourage limpfests with my good limping hands. Anyway I had 22 and [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] playing hands fasts so from my point of view I think the hand was pretty boring.

Looking back on the hand I don't think I could help myself from c/r'ing the turn with top pair and a flush draw if I was Brett, but ultimately think bet/calling that street is best. As others have said bet/call is the line on the river as top two is strong (ahead of 55-77), but is still a loser to A4s and 22 and thus 1-2 bets going in on the river is optimal.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back on the hand I don't think I could help myself from c/r'ing the turn with top pair and a flush draw if I was Brett, but ultimately think bet/calling that street is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, having 0 or 3 bets going in there would be horrible for me. Knowing you, I really thought there was a chance I was drawing dead. But I'm still not about to give a freebie.