Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

He had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: simple value bet/semibluff/free showdown situation

Hi Mainevent if you didn't have the diamond draw i think it is fine but with the diamind draw you open yourself up to a three bet that you have to call. The only benefit of a turn raise is to fold a hand you would like to fold but that doesn't happen often. By calling the turn you know you can get to showdown for two bb's and if villian bets the river when you hit your draw you will still get the same three bets in without opening yourself up to a three bet on the turn. I guess in short if you could fold to a turn three bet it's just fine but because you can't i don't like it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: simple value bet/semibluff/free showdown situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hero raises the turn to get a free showdown. So it still costs him the same when he misses his FD (check behind) but earns him more when he hits a diamond river (bet).

rgb

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that if you hit your flush that villian is going to call your bet on the river. I have the impression that hero is behind on the turn and he isn't folding anyone with a raise, as shillx correctly pointed out. I prefer to keep villian betting at me if I make my flush. So I call the turn, make the flush, villian bets, I raise, he hopefully calls, +3BB.
As for getting a free showdown, your thinking is flawed. By raising you are paying 2BB to see the river, and you run the risk of villian improving and betting into you again on the river. Now your free showdown has cost you 3BB. By just calling the turn and calling the river it costs you 2BB and those times where you do make your flush villian will bet into you and you can raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation...

I read about this play in King Yao's book (p.210 Raising On The Turn For a Free Showdown) where the example he gives is very similar to the turn situation in this hand AFAICS.

I found a thread from the SS forum about the hand in the book(link).

Most people in there weren't too enamoured with this line either.

rgb