Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Cult Criteria

I found these "cult criteria" on the web. Looks pretty good. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine if particular religions meet this criteria. I think most of them do.

1. ENVIRONMENT CONTROL. Limitation of many/all forms of communication with those outside the group. Books, magazines, letters and visits with friends and family are taboo. "Come out and be separate!"

2. MYSTICAL MANIPULATION. The potential convert to the group becomes convinced of the higher purpose and special calling of the group through a profound encounter/experience, for example, through an alleged miracle or prophetic word of those in the group.

3. DEMAND FOR PURITY. An explicit goal of the group is to bring about some kind of change, whether it be on a global, social, or personal level. "Perfection is possible if one stays with the group and is committed."

4. CULT OF CONFESSION. The unhealthy practice of self disclosure to members in the group. Often in the context of a public gathering in the group, admitting past sins and imperfections, even doubts about the group and critical thoughts about the integrity of the leaders.

5. SACRED SCIENCE. The group's perspective is absolutely true and completely adequate to explain EVERYTHING. The doctrine is not subject to amendments or question. ABSOLUTE conformity to the doctrine is required.

6. LOADED LANGUAGE. A new vocabulary emerges within the context of the group. Group members "think" within the very abstract and narrow parameters of the group's doctrine. The terminology sufficiently stops members from thinking critically by reinforcing a "black and white" mentality. Loaded terms and cliches prejudice thinking.

7. DOCTRINE OVER PERSON. Pre-group experience and group experience are narrowly and decisively interpreted through the absolute doctrine, even when experience contradicts the doctrine.

8. DISPENSING OF EXISTENCE. Salvation is possible only in the group. Those who leave the group are doomed.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Cult Criteria

KipBond with the turn-around jumper and SWISH.

nice post.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Differences Between Religions And Cults

Cult is a word so mangled in meaning that its use is unacceptable. There are far too many definitions of this word. The best we can do is abolish it from the English language and find other ways of expression.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cult is just a word used to demonize a religion.
[ QUOTE ]
Religion is just a word used to legitimize a cult.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like yours better.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I was in the "Protestant Christian Loop", It was commonly thought that all non-mainstream denominations were cults: Mormonism, Jehova's Witness, and sometimes even Catholicism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catholicism isn't a mainstream religion?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When I was in the "Protestant Christian Loop", It was commonly thought that all non-mainstream denominations were cults: Mormonism, Jehova's Witness, and sometimes even Catholicism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catholicism isn't a mainstream religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't a Protestant denomination.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:53 AM

It comes down to this.

If you're have a religious faith, but your beliefs allow you to account for other people's different faiths to be valid, (all roads lead to the top) or you can at least tolerate them without trying to go jihad on their ass, I'd say it's a religion.

If you're in a religious faith and it says it is the only way to get to god and everyone else is wrong, and you should use violence to further your ends, I'd say that's a cult.

RB