Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: A few hands from my wonderful day.

[ QUOTE ]
(In hand 1) So you guys are content with gambling all your chips away early on when you will have (in most cases -- barring the all-inner isnt a complete donk) AT MOST 12-15 outs. Plus, when you do get called, it will be more often then not a hand like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], in which youll have 0 outs.

I can understand making the push here if you have a read on the opponent to make this type of play with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but we were not given that info.

I might be overestimating the fold equity, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
12-15 outs = 45% to 50%. That's huge when you've got extra FE. And if you can put Villain on 88 or 82, then all the goodness to you. Right now, you've likely got a ton of outs, and you should be using it to semi-bluff.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Results for those that care.

Hand 1:
I pushed, he called with the second nuts. Turn was an A so if I decided to flatcall instead I still lose my stack.

Hand 2:
I usually push in spots like this if I have a hand that is in the top 25-35%. K2 isn't much, but its more than I'm likely going to have next hand when I'm going to be forced to call based on pot odds. I also have a tiny amount of FE at this point, I'm never really surprised to see this get folded around. Prolly at least 10-15% of the time which I think is pretty good in this spot. In this case the SB called with AK and no suckout for me.

Hand 3:
I really didn't think this was all that hard a call. It sucks to be in this spot, but folding just gets you in worse trouble and is just bad overall. SNGPT shows this as a clear call against any reasonable range from the button. He had TT I flopped an A, turned a K, and in what has become an all too common dagger in my heart he rivered his set.

Hand 4:
I folded. I have no clue why.
I thought it was odd that I did so when looking at some HHs and wondered if anyone else would fold this. Would have flopped an A and likely taken down a small pot against the SB's 88 if I got to see the flop.

Hand 5:
As some of you probably guessed from my responses earlier I pushed here. I'm sure its a moderately +EV move, but not as good as a simple raise or even a limp. This is definately something I start to do as a subtle form of tilt, I eliminate post flop play and just start pushing anytime its even slightly +EV.

Villian1 called with 99 and flopped a set to take most of my stack.

Anyway, thanks for everyone for their thoughts.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Results for those that care.

the only hand i really dont like is 4 folding AT, other than that you played these hands fine.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only hand i really dont like is 4 folding AT, other than that you played these hands fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
pushing AQo in EP with 21 BBs and UTG limper is fine? I dont understand that move at all. I dont think you are likely to get called by Aj or A10 often enough for this to be profitable..
Old 08-06-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
pushing AQo in EP with 21 BBs and UTG limper is fine? I dont understand that move at all. I dont think you are likely to get called by Aj or A10 often enough for this to be profitable..

[/ QUOTE ]

No but they fold often enough to make up for the times I lose coin flips and run into legit hands. I'm 99% sure its a +EV play, its just not the most +EV play.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No but they fold often enough to make up for the times I lose coin flips and run into legit hands. I'm 99% sure its a +EV play, its just not the most +EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

so yer pushing 21 bbs to steal 2 1/2 bbs? and crapping on your FE when you need it 20-30 hands later.

and you STILL got called by 99. which is another problem with this push.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:22 AM

Nottom: I do not hate your AQo push. Obviously I'd like it alot more with AK. But I will also push with TT here. (I recently posted a hand where I pushed TT with 18 BBs after one limper.) You have significant FE by pushing and you avoid tricky and -EV post flop situations.

I don't see any way that pushing is -EV. But you're never going to convince anyone to the contrary if they already have their minds made up.

BTW, I much prefer pushing TT in your spot, since as I've been saying in my TT thread, lower PPs LOVE to call you here. I suppose that's an argument for you not to push, but I think it's still a +EV move.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand I now push stuff like 99 or TT here all the time because small pairs call and I get to smash them and laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Someone agrees with me. I keep telling the low limit guys that this is a GREAT play. I double up so often pushing TT here it's insane. Lower PPs call all the time because it looks like such a steal to the donks.

But all I ever hear is "you're either dominated or a coinflip if called." So WRONG.

This play is especially good for the low level guys who generally suck post flop and whose opponents will call with low PPs all the time. Nice to see a good player is in my camp.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:57 AM

yeah tom has it right, its not the most +EV, but i would be very very surprised if its -EV.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:11 AM

Hand 1 - allin

Hand 2 - allin

Hand 3 - allin

Hand 4 - Depends....sometimes fold, sometimes raise to 125-150.

Hand 5 - I think I'd flat call. With 800-875 chips Id move allin.