Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Another I\'m losing do I suck or is it just varience post.

I don't know when you stopped playing 3/6 but it is playing very differently when compared to about a year ago. It's more aggressive with more HU and 3-way pots and fewer limpfests. Anyway, I doubt you haven't noticed this given how much 6-max you've played.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:26 PM

I dropped about 75 BB at 3/6 last night in about 300 hands (what can I say -- I was on a roll) and then won 85 BB over the next 300 hands or so.

I think I was generally playing pretty well even during my downswing (except one hand when I had JJ on a KJT flop and I completely blanked out to the possibility of AQ from a PFR TAG -- costing me several bets on the turn when I didn't fill up).

So variance is a very real thing. I do think 2/4 is generally an easier game, insofar as table selection is easier there. At 3/6, I often play 2-3 orbits at a table and then get up and leave. And I still have a tough time knowing whether I should play when there are all tight players and either just a single very loose player one or two seats to my left or two marginally loose players who are also on my left. I think that those tables are so marginally profitable that I should be hopping around more. At 3/6, it can take a while to find a good table.

Whereas when I was playing 2/4, I remember about 75% of tables that I sat down at random ended up being pretty good tables.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:05 PM

I've dropped 100 BBs in a day before, though only once & it was at 10/20 6max. It sucks & there was probably something in your play that helped fuel the downswing (it's tough to keep playing properly TAG poker when you're missing every flop & getting sucked out on with all your big pairs), but for the most part it's probably just variance. Definitely take a good hard look at your hand histories & look for problems, and post up a couple hands that you're not sure about. But don't give up the game over it either.

I'm almost in the opposite boat as you, as I've started playing more NL SNGs & MTTs after a huge downswing covering the second half of April through May. It's a nice change of pace, but I'm already noticing problems adjusting back to limit when I go to get my hands in there. They really are two totally different games, so I'm sure there's some rust in your game that isn't helping.