Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Default TPTK vs passive villian early on

First level $20 mtt on stars, Villian is very passive. He had open limped ATs from the CO an orbit before. Would you make the call or conserve the chips?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1350)
MP1 (t1185)
MP2 (t1650)
MP3 (t480)
CO (t1460)
Button (t1630)
SB (t1325)
Hero (t3430)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t160</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls t120.

Flop: (t380) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1165</font>, Hero????
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: TPTK vs passive villian early on

QQ is not likely, neither is AA. AQ...maybe, but AJ and AT are just as likely. I call...I can't put him on ducks here.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QQ is not likely, neither is AA. AQ...maybe, but AJ and AT are just as likely. I call...I can't put him on ducks here.

[/ QUOTE ]
why arent those hands likely against a passive opponent?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 PM

the way he played this does not make me think high pair...and he is not playing this passively...he raised from 20 to 40 preflop and then flat called a reraise to 160. No matter how passive my opponent is, if he originally raises and then just flat calls a fairly sizable (compared to the size of the original raise) reraise, it tells me he is scared, not slowplaying no matter how passive he seems otherwise.

Besides, the only info you have is that he played a mediocre hand passively...it would be one thing if you'd seen him play AA or QQ that way too, but I just can't put him on those hands here. If he's got them, hats off to him.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:28 PM

so what hand would he min raise with? If he doesnt raise ATs in late position when its folded to him, why would he min raise it (or AJ) here when there are limpers and he would have to play out of position postflop?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Ok, I would not call him a passive player from this hand.

Villian is very passive. He had open limped ATs from the CO an orbit before.

What else did he do that makes you consider him "very passive"?

SB checks, Hero bets t160, SB raises to t1165, Hero????

Makes the call and looks down the barrel of AQ if he made the wrong read [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Whenever someone plays opposite of his or her playing style, the player will usually show their best results. Reference Harrington on Holdem for the exact essay.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM

Thats my only passive evidence. It makes me believe he doesn't have AT or AJ (or an even weaker ace) here, so i seem to be behind anything he would push with.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM

Mini raises is an enigma especially in low buy-in tourneys. Either they would like to see a cheap flop with medium pairs or trapping with monsters. You described your opponent as passive. He mini-raised, called, then check-raised all in on a coordinated board? Can't totally discount AQ or QQ here or even AA. I know, I know. TPTK is too tempting here with your above average stack early in the tourney. Even if you lose you're still ok.

Tough. I close my eyes and click CALL.

How did you do?