Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 10:25 PM

Default am i supposed to call this?

i bounce back and forth between limit ring games and sng's. been playing sng's lately, but i'm not a "math guy" and the equity of hands like this confuse me. of note is that my BB comes up next. the villain is a relatively straightforward, vaguely aggresive, basically solid player. this is from a $100 party sng:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter

Button (t1830)
SB (t920)
BB (t2655)
Hero (t2610)
Villain (t1985)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800, Villain raises all-in to t1985 </font>, <font color="#666666">Button, SB, BB fold</font>, Hero does what?

i'd been raising 2.5x all tourney long and have been raising a lot of hands.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: am i supposed to call this?

You need to call 1185 into a pot of 800 + 1985 + 300 + 150 = 3235. That's almost 3:1. Consider that a hand like AQ here, which is one of the things you least want to see, you're 3:1 to win. So you almost have the right price against hands with a better Q or better 9, and a lot of the time you're going to have even better odds against his holdings. You really have to call this, I think. If you call and lose, then you'll be calling next hand with any two if your BB is raised because you'll once again be getting basically 3:1 odds.

This is a great example of why people advocate pushing in this spot instead. It saves you from having to make an uncomfortable decision here and will be more likely to result in your opponent folding.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:42 PM

i'd definitely fold preflop, especially if you say you've been raising a lot of hands. that being said you're getting almost 3-1 pot odds. i'd lean toward a call but i dont think it makes much difference whether you call or fold.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:46 PM

I would definitely fold preflop. Note that if you plan to call a reraise from anyone but the big stack you are raising your whole stack here, since you are putting yourself in situations where you are almost pot committed.
(Although I think its probably fine to fold after being reraised, I would just avoid the situation in the first place here.)
UTG here with Q9o just isn't the best spot to do this IMO.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Yes, you should call, which means you should have pushed in the first place if you were going to raise. However, you should definitely fold this UTG.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 AM

Fold preflop ... fold preflop. Repeat after me. NO reason to play this hand unless you are down to 1 or 2 hands in a tournament.