Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Foxwoods Act I

Not really a strategy post, just an observation for those who are thinking of playing in these satellites and are wondering what level of competition is out there.

Foxwoods Act I, $45+15 satellite, last 3 standing get a buy-in to the $135+15 Act II.

Blinds are 100/200, soon to rise to 150/300, we are six-handed, and due to getting caught with my hand in the cookie jar a few hands back, I'm left with 475 in the BB before posting my 200 blind.

SB in this hand has just gone on an all-in spree and increased his chip count to about 1800, a bit above average.

Cards are dealt and I do not look at mine, fully intending to call any raise that puts me all-in regardless of what I hold. Folded to the SB who completes. Well, that ruins my plan, I guess I have to look at my cards after all.

I peek and see a veritable monster, 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I check thinking my opponent has just given me another way to buy my survival. (pot = 400)

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I push in my last 275, he folds.

Such is the level of sophistiaction you face in these things on a Saturday night. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Act I

i'm planning on heading to FW to play a bunch of those, largely to get live tourney practice. i have no doubt the players will be bad, but is it beatable with the ridiculous rake?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Don't think of the rake in a pure sense. For example, before the WPF last year, I never bought into an Act II. I played 15 Act I's and won my way into 10 Act II's from those. So, I paid an average of $90 per Act II (less if you add in my 2nds and 3rds in the Act II's). If your goal is to get a cheap buy-in to the main event, I believe going through the 3-Act process is the best value. I'd probably approach it differently if I were putting in regular hours in cash games there, but in my case, that's not my focus when I go.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:39 PM

I played 1 act 1 and they were terrible. 1 lucky guy flopped a set of queens over jacks, a set over kings and pocket kings against a smaller pair within the first ten hands giving him half the chips.However, he had to play every hand and bluff and didn't make it. I sat back and made it. Same strategy act2, got to final 3(which gives you afreeroll back) as shortstack and almost won, last hand head to head w 88 vs A6. Flopped an 8 and lost to runner runner 4 flush board(just like party poker). Took my freeroll and finished 3rd 2 more times then I was tired and had a long drive so I decided to take some early chances to be chip leader or out. I called an early raise with 77, flop 8 9 10 he bet out and I pushed figuring he might fold or I could have 10 outs. He held up with aces.

Bottom line- I played all day with 1 entry. This year I'm going for it.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:07 AM

Remember, since the NEPC main event is only a $5K buy-in, last 3 standing in the Act II get into the Act III.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think of the rake in a pure sense. For example, before the WPF last year, I never bought into an Act II. I played 15 Act I's and won my way into 10 Act II's from those. So, I paid an average of $90 per Act II (less if you add in my 2nds and 3rds in the Act II's). If your goal is to get a cheap buy-in to the main event, I believe going through the 3-Act process is the best value. I'd probably approach it differently if I were putting in regular hours in cash games there, but in my case, that's not my focus when I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

but that really is the rake you pay. the act 2's have a fairly reasonable rake, so maybe it's better to buy directly into seat 2's. i want to play a lot of live tourneys in a relatively short time, but i don't want to feel like a sucker for playing 45+15 when i could be playing 30+3 at home.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:02 AM

When is the tourney? are the Act 3's every thursday? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 AM

If you're only going to take one or two shots at it, you're right, but if you're going to invest, say, $900 on the process, why are you a sucker for getting 10 shots insted of 6?

If your goal is simply to pay the least rake, then even the Act II makes no sense. Just buy in to an Act III.

I still say that if you think you're twice as good as the Act I universe, and your goal is to win more than one Act III for the least amount invested, then buying in to an Act II makes no sense.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Main event is April 8-11.

Act III's every Wednesday & Thursday night and every Sunday morning. 2 per day after March 28.