Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Getting Rid Of The Intentional Walk In BB

In another thread Clarkmeister and others pointed out how many intentional walks Bonds got this year.

In a way it seems kind of unfair to Bonds and doesn't allow him to display his full prowess. Kind of like the Hacka Shaq.

What do you guys think of doing away with the intentional walk? It could be done by not allowing the catcher to step out of a catcher's box until the release of the pitch from the pitcher or something like that.

They could still pitch around a player but at more risk to the team out on the field. Also I know it might have an effect on pitch out to pickoff base runners.

But fans come to the park to see hitters hit and (to a lesser extent) pitchers pitch.

What do you say?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Getting Rid Of The Intentional Walk In BB

What do you guys think of doing away with the intentional walk?

I think it's stupid. If a pitcher wants to walk a batter, then they'll just throw 4 straight balls. How are you planning to stop this?

It could be done by not allowing the catcher to step out of a catcher's box until the release of the pitch from the pitcher or something like that.

This rule is already in the books. Section 2.00 or 2.01 I think.

GoT
Old 09-29-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of doing away with the intentional walk?

[/ QUOTE ] I hate it when someone on my team is walked intentionally, but I almost always like it when my team walks someone intentionally. Its a good rule and shouldn't be chnaged.

[ QUOTE ]
It could be done by not allowing the catcher to step out of a catcher's box until the release of the pitch from the pitcher or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ] He already has to do this, otherwise it is a balk. Are you familiar with what a balk is?

[ QUOTE ]
They could still pitch around a player but at more risk to the team out on the field. Also I know it might have an effect on pitch out to pickoff base runners.

[/ QUOTE ] Please explain your reasoning for these two sentences.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:56 PM

Cracker -- I am familiar with what a balk is. I am not aware that a balk can be called for the catcher stepping out from the area behind the batter before the pitch has left the pitcher's hand (ie. a pitch out or intentional walk).

Pitching around a batter has more risk than throwing slow pitches way outside the strike zone as in an intentional walk. For example, a pitch in the dirt can cause a wild pitch or passed ball or the pitcher could mistakenly throw it so the hitter could get a hit. That's what I meant by more risk.

The statement about having an effect on pitch outs referred to having a rule, for example, requiring the pitcher to throw the pitch between the two batters' boxes. Then it would be more difficult to have a pitchout if there was such a rule.

I wasn't necessarily wedded to this idea, I just wanted to hear what other thought.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am familiar with what a balk is. I am not aware that a balk can be called for the catcher stepping out from the area behind the batter before the pitch has left the pitcher's hand (ie. a pitch out or intentional walk).

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know if I have ever seen it happen in the majors, but I did happen to me once in little league. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Pitching around a batter has more risk than throwing slow pitches way outside the strike zone as in an intentional walk. For example, a pitch in the dirt can cause a wild pitch or passed ball or the pitcher could mistakenly throw it so the hitter could get a hit. That's what I meant by more risk.

[/ QUOTE ] thats true, but a catcher could crouch and then stand up during the wind up and catch a ball outside of the strike zone. I mean, doing this would make it a little sillier and a little harder than what they already do.

[ QUOTE ]
The statement about having an effect on pitch outs referred to having a rule, for example, requiring the pitcher to throw the pitch between the two batters' boxes. Then it would be more difficult to have a pitchout if there was such a rule.

[/ QUOTE ] but then this wouldn't really be a pitch out.

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't necessarily wedded to this idea, I just wanted to hear what other thought.

[/ QUOTE ] I know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2004, 02:11 PM

BTW, Cracker -- You probably already know this, but San Andreas is set for release either the first or second week of October. Sorry, I couldn't give you any more info on who the voices are, but my friend who works for them told me to keep my mouth shut or else...
Old 09-29-2004, 02:18 PM

maybe mandate that offenses must run a required percentage of passing plays, even when up, late in the game, because three yards and a cloud of dust just isn't doing it for the fans.

the intentional BB isn't a "rule". it's a strategic move. nothing in the rule book says that pitchers have to throw the ball over the plate. the fact that there are balls and strikes takes care of any pitcher's inability (or choice) to not do that.

BTW, rule 4.03 already prohibits the catcher from leaving the catcher's box until the ball is released by the pitcher.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:26 PM

comes out on the 26th.

Rockstar announced that some guy named Young Maylay is voicing the main character. I can't wait till the 26th, even though my socially life will cease to exist on that day! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 11:32 AM

Nothing that can be done about it, but it's sad to see it costing us a runaway triple crown winner.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:50 PM

Bob Gibson would just bean someone he wanted to puit on base. You could do it that way.