Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 01:46 AM

Default top 3 sites for low SNGs

i started playing in the $5 and $10 at pokerroom and i've been dabbling at powerplayer too. since i haven't played anywere else, i was wondering how you guys would rate all the other sites in the 5 and 10 SNGs based on difficulty of the game and blind/payout/rake structure.

for example, i've heard partypoker was pretty easy but i just found out its 5+1 as opposed to 5+0.5 and starting chips are only 800 so im not sure how this affects the ease of the time. from what i've seen, powerplayer also seems to have a lot of ultra tight players.. blinds get crazy high and people bust out really slowly.

so what are your top 3 SNG sites? i wanna make a big deposit and see how i do so i'm trying to get as informed as i can. thanks i appreciate it.

..also i figure this has been discussed before but i couldn't find it with search. so sorry if this is a repeat.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: top 3 sites for low SNGs

Everyone here plays at party because the shallow structure and quickly escalating blinds make it easier to multi-table, and the games end quicker. This amounts to higher variance, but also a higher hourly rate.

if you are short on $ and are only interested in playing tournaments, play at poker stars. They have deeper stacks, which means less variance. Also, their vig is less. Party charges 20% vig on their 5+1 games. This is just too high to be ignored.

If you want to build a bankroll, learn how to play limit hold em, and go to www.bonuswhores.com so you can learn how to build a bankroll from scratch.

Also, wherever you go, make sure that you are getting rakeback. You can go to www.rakerebatereview.com to get a list of different affiliate offers for different sites.

All the best,
Snowball
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 AM

Party is the best as far as profitability IMO, but not at the 5s for the reason mentioned (higher rake) The players at the 10s are not much better if any at all, so if you have the bankroll for the 10s I would definately play on party otherwise build a bankroll up and play there.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:49 AM

thanks for the replies. damn the $1 rake at the $5 games.. i need like $300 bankroll if i want to play at the $10+1 tables right? if im forced with a smaller bankroll to start, can playing at the $5+1 still be profitable?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 AM

Or you can always play at Pokerstars. 50 cent rake, the games aren't as fishy as party but so beatable its ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the replies. damn the $1 rake at the $5 games.. i need like $300 bankroll if i want to play at the $10+1 tables right? if im forced with a smaller bankroll to start, can playing at the $5+1 still be profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it can still be profitable to play at the 5+1, but as soon as u have a sufficient bankroll move up to the 11's
Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 AM

Even though it can be profitable, I'd highly recommend against playing 5+1's. That extra 10% rake is probably the majority of what his ROI would be given he's just starting out (I'm confident anyone who likes money can beat 5 dollar sngs at least slightly).
Old 07-06-2005, 04:44 AM

do you guys see a big difference between the sngs at partypoker, pokerstars, and pokerroom? maybe i can move to pokerstars 5+5.0 to build up to play 11+1 at partypoker. but would guys say pokerstars is any easier than pokerroom?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:00 AM

Ultimate Bet
Pokerstars
Pokerroom

All give you 1500 chips and slow blind escalations. All beatable. I wouldn't worry about your hourly rate until you know for sure you're a regular winner...