Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2002, 06:31 PM

Default Record keeping site

Greetings...me and a few other nerdy types have created a new record keeping application called AceAnalysis. It is web-based but you can also use it from your mobile phone or handheld. Take a look and let me know what you think. Honest and candid feedback is welcome.

http://www.AceAnalysis.com

Thanks!

Lance
Old 11-18-2002, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Record keeping site

I believe you may become very wealthy with this tool. Congratulations!
Old 11-18-2002, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the optimism Jimbo but probably not...the overhead for bandwidth transfer (graphs), session storage (just between 5 developers we have over 1700 sessions logged) and lengthy opponent notes can get quite high. We--the development team--all felt strongly that the app should be supported by subscriptions rather than ads. We hate the flashing banners, pop-ups, pop-behinds, and fake dialog boxes that pervade everything online right now...so $1 a week per user it is.

Old 11-18-2002, 11:03 PM

Only $52.00 a year, every year.
And let's not forget to thank 2+2 for the free advertisement.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:21 AM

I'm open for suggestions. What do you think a fair price would be?

I did post here for looking for feedback, and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is...if you want a free account CP just ask for it. All I ask is for some honest feedback - public or private.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:13 AM

I would be reluctant to use this because it is web based, rather than a program I could purchase and use on my own computer. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting my personal information on your site where you or someone else might be able to see it.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:28 AM

It looks like a well designed product and $1/week seems reasonable. However, I have to agree with Snakehead in that I wouldn't want my personal poker financial information to be stored anywhere other that my PC. If you made a non-net based, downloadable version available for $40-ish with all the data being stored locally you could do quite well.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:39 AM

Certainly privacy and security are a huge concern to everyone, and of course I feel the same way about my data.

The fact is that in most cases the data is safer on the servers than it is on a PC. For one thing, the data is being backed up twice a day, the servers are physically secured and they are protected from net attacks by a very powerful firewall. Most people are not using an industrial strength firewall and do not back up their data periodically, so they are subject to hacks, viruses and hardware failures. A windows-based PC connected directly to the internet via broadband or DSL without a firewall or updated anti-virus is essentially an open book to even the most unsophisticated hacker. They find you by running port scan programs on huge swaths of IP addresses until bingo your IP address comes up as vulnerable. I also think you would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't lost data due to hard drive crashes or corruption.

In terms of the data itself, it is locked to an email address and encrypted password. Neither your name nor any other financial or personal data is ever stored. If you were to somehow get around all of the security and break in the data would be meaningless--without the application to decrypt the password and tie the various tables together it is just a bunch of numbers. Playing online poker is far riskier than using this application.

Of course unlike your home PC you can get to your data with any computer (Mac, PC, Linux etc) that has a web browser. You can also use your mobile phone. The FAQ on the site does a pretty good job of addressing these concerns and talking about the advantages of the anywhere/anytime/any platform combination.

Lance
Old 11-19-2002, 02:35 PM

I signed up for a trial membership, and will post comments here in a few weeks after trying it out.

The one suggestion I have at the moment is to give the users an option of paying a certain amount for a lifetime membership, or to pay a certain amount per month (perhaps after a certain amount of time, you will become a lifetime member without having to pay any more money).

For example:

Lifetime Membership - $40
Monthly Membership - $1 (After 50 consecutive months, payments will cease and you will be a lifetime member).

-- Homer
Old 11-19-2002, 03:10 PM

it's unlikely that someone would hack my pc just to have a look at my poker results, but it's very likely that you or someone related to your site would look at them. that's why I would never use your service.