Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 PM

Default SS2 LO8 : What am I missing?

On p. 338 of SS2, there's an example where you're holding A4KK and the board is 348K with two flush draws, and the author says there are 16 cards on the river that could make a straight possible for your opponent and beat your nut high 3 Kings, plus about half the deck completing a flush draw. But I'm looking at it, thinking there's 3 As, 4 2s, 4 5s, 4 6s and 4 7s = 19 possible straight cards. Of course, if you take away the ones that could also make a flush, it would be a lot less, but I don't see any way to wind up with 16. What am I missing here?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: SS2 LO8 : What am I missing?

Tim - Good eyes! I think it's just a typo. No big deal. I get 19, the same as you, and make it a total of 27 cards on the river that could possibly make a straight or flush for an opponent (without also making Hero quads or a full house). That leaves only 17 favorable or safe cards, and probably for only half the pot.

But Hero's hand odds aren't quite 17 to 27, because of two opposite effect factors.
(1) There's a slight chance of an opponent making quads on the river.
(2) Depending somewhat on the exact river card, there's a fairly good chance nobody will actually make a straight on the river, even if one becomes enabled.

Buzz