Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-13-2005, 11:52 AM

Default What are you thinking when someone check-min-raises the flop?

Say 5 people limp in to see the flop which comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG+1 bets pot, remaining 3 call, and then UTG minraises. The remaining 4 call.

What would you put UTG on?

If UTG had JJxx what do you think of this play? If he had a flush/wrap draw?

-Matt
Old 09-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: What are you thinking when someone check-min-raises the flop?

I find that when they do that they have usually made a hand that although is the nuts now is vulnerable. It builds the pot allowing them to make a bigger bet if a non scare card comes on the turn.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM

My first thought was a monster draw (e.g., AdQT9d) trying to keep as many folks in for as much $ as possible, but there's a double danger here -- one, that the three callers are eating the min-raiser's outs, and two, that the original raiser will push everyone else out and ruin the min-raiser's pot odds. I'd be more likely to put in a min-raise in this position if one of the three callers re-raised before me instead.

So I suppose I'd have to have a strong made hand with a strong redraw (e.g., AdJJxd). A check-min-raise here would be fun -- it would confuse the heck out of everyone; a lower set would have trouble passing and may even push; and I'd welcome the other callers as well, who would then be more likely to be eating each other's straight outs.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:09 PM

Another line might be second set testing whether top set is out. With the pot built to a decent size and a draw-heavy board, it would be difficult for top set to resist pushing, and the min-raiser could pass. If no one re-raises, then the min-raiser could push on a safe turn.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Yeah I did this same play with top set. I checked UTG and next guy bets pot (this was already a decent sized pot from a pot raise preflop). I then check min raised and everyone called. On the safe turn I went all in for pot and of course it was folded to me.

I can see how this wouldnt be a good play with a flush/wrap because all of the callers definitely reduce your outs and there are definitely boat draws about.

-Matt