Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Default AA huge pot. anyone play this differently?

small blind is kind of a maniac, the other two are new to the table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

my first inclination was to raise the flop, but the pot is so big that my flop raise is still offering 8-1. good time to wait to the turn to raise?

Turn: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (18 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

so i know AA posts are lame, but i'm really questioning this. help anyone?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: AA huge pot. anyone play this differently?

Raise the flop for value and to charge anyone whom wants to see the next card. Rest looks pretty standard unless I'm missing something.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 PM

A flop raise actually offers 1:10 to the first coldcaller.

I think this hand is a fine time to wait for the turn to protect - if you were more vulnerable than you are. A gutshot on this board seems very unlikely, you can raise the flop for value.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

my first inclination was to raise the flop, but the pot is so big that my flop raise is still offering 8-1. good time to wait to the turn to raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

No....why let them off with one SB when - as you said - they will call two?

Rich
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 PM

(If you raise you're actually giving them 10:1.)

You hand's too good to wait for the turn. This pot is big but I want this pot to be as large as possible and I probably have a willing dance partner in SB who is very likley drawing to 2 outs.

With AA I wouldn't worry about protecting this hand so much. You have AA so you don't have to worry about overcards and the board is raggged. If you get drawn out on so be it. You'll win way more often than that will happen and when the flop gets capped you'll be happy. The vast majority of the time you wait to try to protect you'll just cost yourself bets in a situation where waiting wouldn't have helped anyways because if they're drawing live they won't fold no matter how hard you try.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM

This is about the least scary flop you could reasonably expect to get. It's pretty unlikely that there's anything out there you need to protect against. Raise the flop for value.

(Another reason to raise the flop for value is that you don't necessarily know that the play is going to go the way it did. What happens if button raises the flop and SB just calls? Your opportunity to raise the turn and face the field with two cold just disappeared).
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM

You're actually offering 20:2 or 10:1 with a raise, so I think waiting until the turn is a good idea.
Turn looks good. Since he is aggressive and you have yet to show any aggression, he would probably 3-bet with a lot of hands you beat (KK-JJ, AT). I'm just not sure about the raising the river. The only reasonable hand youre behind to is TT, so I think you'll win more than half the time when you raise and he calls. I think I like the raise.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Even waiting 'til the turn you're offering 6.5:1 on a raise, so what were you hoping to shut out? I raise the flop and go from there. Since you didn't, I think the rest of the hand looks fine.

-Tim
Old 04-08-2005, 01:23 PM

If the 7 on the flop were a 9 or J I'd wait for the turn also, but this board isn't that scary, so raise the flop.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A flop raise actually offers 1:10 to the first coldcaller.

I think this hand is a fine time to wait for the turn to protect - if you were more vulnerable than you are. A gutshot on this board seems very unlikely, you can raise the flop for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then, you're saying it would be more appropriate to wait to raise the turn with a hand like TT, ala the Two Overpair Hands situation in SSH?