Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Jarhead: Who else is excited?

[ QUOTE ]
Not that reviews arent good for a movie that you dunno if you want to see.. but if you decide something looks good, why let someone you don't know, make you not want to see something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not that reviews arent good for a movie that you dunno if you want to see.. but if you decide something looks good, why let someone you don't know, make you not want to see something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually seems like a really stupid point. You are saying that you should put more faith in a 90 sec. commercial designed to sell the movie than in objective analysis. If you just like the subject matter, thats fine, whatever. But if you actually want to know if the movie is good or not, read some reviews.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must have missed Malick's Democratic endorsement in The Thin Red Line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the "War movie with a message" that sucked balls, not being democratic. Why the NYT guy seems to think this movie based off a book made years earlier should some how tackle the political problem in the region we face today is beyond me.

It goes back to the worth of movie reviews. I think they have some worth, but I actually read the reviews. In this case if I read the good reviews and the bad reviews, it seems the movie is something I like. If the good reviews read something like (From the Brown Bunny)- "Much like Bruno Dumont's equally provocative Twentynine Palms, Gallo's peculiarly earnest film ultimately questions the nature of cinema, that continuum of reality and illusion that starts when the theater dims and the screen lights up."

Then I know the movie isn't worth watching even if there is a blow job scene thrown in there.

The good reviews for Jarhead, say it gives a good feel for what it was like overe there, great cinematagrophy while the bad reviews question it's "ambiguity". Those bad reviews won't scare me off a movie like, "Keanu Reeves can't act worth a damn" "I almost threw up from the moving camera"
Old 11-04-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually seems like a really stupid point. You are saying that you should put more faith in a 90 sec. commercial designed to sell the movie than in objective analysis. If you just like the subject matter, thats fine, whatever. But if you actually want to know if the movie is good or not, read some reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the OP is thinking but in my case I've read and enjoyed the book, and from the trailers it seemed like the's movie is going to be at least interesting.

That said, I couldn't help but read a few reviews, including Roger Ebert who I generally trust.

~ Rick
Old 11-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

rotten tomatoes outlook not great, but i would think this would be a kind of movie where the bulk of the reveiewers might not get it.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, not all trailers make me want to see a movie, this one legitamately makes me excited to see it, and i'm much more likely to enjoy a movie if i go into it excited, than i am if i read a review and then go in with a bad attitude.

I might be arttificially making myself enjoy the movie more, but i dont care.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 PM

Umm. It had Jake [censored] Gyllenhaal. How could this be good?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rotten tomatoes outlook not great, but i would think this would be a kind of movie where the bulk of the reveiewers might not get it.

[/ QUOTE ]I think a lot of the critics were expecting this movie to have some sort of bias, or various other standard action/war movie aspects. From what I hear, this plays more like a documentary with actors than a standard movie. Possibly catching some people off guard?