Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: $11 - Jacks on a nasty board

Big raise on the turn.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, no competent player is ever firing 30 chips into a 280 chip pot, so you basically know you're dealing with a weak player, which means he could very well have made the nut flush on the turn, or ANYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your argument is that it's impossible to figure out what any play means if it's not made by a competent player?

Competent players very rarely open limp from the SB on the bubble, but that doesn't mean I can't put my opponents on a range of hands when he does that. Competent players don't make giant overraises in levels 1 and 2 but that doesn't stop me deducing what kind of hand they have.

I see this min bet out all the time and it very rarely means anything other than a hand that doesn't want to shell out a lot of chips to see the river. This is one of the reasons competent players don't use it. If I knew you were all going to just call it all the time, I'd employ it on weak and drawing hands constantly.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, no competent player is ever firing 30 chips into a 280 chip pot, so you basically know you're dealing with a weak player, which means he could very well have made the nut flush on the turn, or ANYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your argument is that it's impossible to figure out what any play means if it's not made by a competent player?

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, I just think that you shouldn't read too much into this bet at all. Sure he could be trying to buy a cheap showdown, but he could easily have the nut flush and be trying to induce a bluff, or just the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], etc. Basically if I knew I was playing Pergesu and he fired 30 chips into a 280 pot, I'd probably be raising him confidently, but if it was the average $11er I'd be happy taking my cheap showdown, knowing that he's got a big hand way more often than Perg would.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean

i agree with the limp preflop

i like the flop raise

i like the turn call (at this point, he could easily have hearts, lets have a cheap showdown if hes willing to give it to you)

the river -- i mean, you got the cheap showdown. its an 11. is he really folding a 9 high flush here? is he really folding a 5 here? I would bet the answer is "no" to both of these. so i'd just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just wanted to point out that i used the term raise when i meant bet. so im being a nit to my own post. which makes me just the worst nit of all.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:02 AM

i guess i mostly agree with jeffraider here. there is really no way to confidently put this guy on a hand right now. we know there is a good chance he is a donk (party 11).

so, he calls a 2/3 pot bet on the flop. Could be a flush draw, could be a 6, could be a 5, could be 44, could just be KJ looking to hit his overcard. we just have no idea.

when he minbets out, it sure seems like he likes his hand more than he did on the flop. but then again, maybe its just a donk blocking bet. who knows? I have no idea on a hand range here.

On the river, I mean, so many hands ARE NOT folding the river here. I think very few hands that are beating us are folding. I DOUBT a K folds here, I doubt a 5 folds here, and I doubt a 9 or T high flush folds here.

I think if you never bluffed the river in the first two levels of an 11/22, you would not be leaving all that many chips on the table.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think if you never bluffed the river in the first two levels of an 11/22, you would be playing great.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixt lol
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess i mostly agree with jeffraider here. there is really no way to confidently put this guy on a hand right now. we know there is a good chance he is a donk (party 11).

so, he calls a 2/3 pot bet on the flop. Could be a flush draw, could be a 6, could be a 5, could be 44, could just be KJ looking to hit his overcard. we just have no idea.

when he minbets out, it sure seems like he likes his hand more than he did on the flop. but then again, maybe its just a donk blocking bet. who knows? I have no idea on a hand range here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes down to this: who do you think is getting helped by a cheap card here more often? You or him? Bear in mind that if you're losing, you have only two outs in the deck. By raising, you're not really risking many more chips than by calling, since if he's winning he's often going to bet some medium amount on the river (say 90 chips) which you'll have to call.

There's the additional problem that you've showed abject weakness. You deserve to have the donk bet you out of the pot on the river with his 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when he misses.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:44 AM

chris, i appreciate your points.

on the other hand though, i think that turn card basically turned the situation into a "way behind/slightly ahead" situation, and at that point, i'm not interested in charging villian for what MAY be a draw, but what may well be a made hand -- i dont have enough information to know for sure. all i'm interested in at this point is showing down my hand cheaply.

the river heart obviously screwed up my showdown equity, but at that point, i can't fold for another 30 chips, so I'm calling. in a higher buyin game, i'm raising here a lot. just not in an 11 =P.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:52 AM

Minimally, c-bet that flop. Preferably more. Did you know that the $11s are donkeys? Let them know you have a hand. They respond to strength. You bet would be better if you hit a set.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:19 PM

You seem to have played this hand backwards. You call when you should raise and raise when you should call.