Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Default $1/$2 Stud High - Stubborn straight draw

I doubt I’m the only one who’s got a soft spot for straight draws in Stud. I’ve been trained out of playing them, but decided to go with this one even though two of my pair cards are dead.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

I got put on the installment plan here. Anyone fold after the initial call? No reads on Seat’s 1 and 3.

4th Street - (7.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

Uh, yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

5th Street - (8.10 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

Maybe this raise was goofy, but I thought I was being bullied and wanted to see how serious these guys were. I probably would have folded to a re-raise.

6th Street - (14.10 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (14.10 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (16.10 BB)

Results: [in white]<font color="white">

Total pot $32.20 | Rake $1

Seat 3: [Kc 3h Js Qd 3d Jd 5d]

Hero: [Jh Qs Tc 9s 5c 6c Kd] (a straight, Nine to King)</font>
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 Stud High - Stubborn straight draw

3rd &amp; 4th:I would have played it this way,too.

5th:If you get 3-bet,you have to call.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this raise was goofy, but I thought I was being bullied and wanted to see how serious these guys were. I probably would have folded to a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 06:26 PM

looks fine, i guess you're trying to represent a 4-flush by raising 5th? if thats the case why not bet 6th?

wtf was seat 3 thinking, and why did he not muck his hand?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Third depends on how the game is playing. Having your straight cards live is good, your pair cards dead is not good. Has there been lots of raising on 3rd? If you think you can get in cheap, go ahead but I don't think it costs you much to fold this. Or call it, assuming you play well on later streets.

Fourth is your ticket to the river. So no quibbles.

Fifth, I hate. Based on previous action, I don't see anyone folding. Thus, you're simply charging yourself to draw and could easily be reraised. In which case, you have to CLEARLY CALL. I assume your fold to a reraise line was a brainfart.

6th is good. Your bet wouldn't win and you are drawing. 7th plays itself.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Third: fine.

Fourth: I squirm a bit, but fine.

Fifth: call. No other play to make. Since you clicked the wrong button, folding to a three-bet would be absolutely dizzy. The pot is huge, all your straight cards are live, and a straight should be good if you hit.

Sixth: fine.

Seventh: fine.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What part – the raise, the reason for the raise, or the statement that I would probably fold to a re-raise.

When benwood said I’d have to call a 3-bet I went back and looked at fifth. The pot is way too big to fold. But what if I am jammed again? How much heat do I take with this draw?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks fine, i guess you're trying to represent a 4-flush by raising 5th?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 2-flush didn’t hurt but I really wanted to see if I was up against real strength (rolled sixes, for example).

[ QUOTE ]
if thats the case why not bet 6th?

[/ QUOTE ]
I had one card to hit my draw and Seat 3 paired his doorcard.

[ QUOTE ]
wtf was seat 3 thinking, and why did he not muck his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Serious, that was wild.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has there been lots of raising on 3rd?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don’t recall players getting that frisky on third. I would not have expected more than a completion.

[ QUOTE ]
Or call it, assuming you play well on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I assume your fold to a reraise line was a brainfart.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a reply to bumpkin on that.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fifth: call. No other play to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I just felt bullied and maybe that raise was some steam.