Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-10-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Half your stack on a suited ace?

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you already decided to stay with it, and are making arguments for it. If you feel you have a good read then go for it.
Unlike the others I will play Ax preflop, however I always get out unless I hit two pair, or a pair plus nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I used about half my time bank and then folded. If there had been more in the pot or if he had about 100 less I would have made the call but I felt it was too big a risk for such a small pot. He didn't show his hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 AM

It's small mistakes, like playing hands like this in early-mid position, that lead to bigger mistakes that cost you half your stack.

Fold preflop. Play these hands in late position following other limpers where you have better implied odds and easier decisions.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:17 AM

not me

the bb special, my man is rockin the j3 flopped 2 pair

i don't think this is a really hard fold- is it a bad one?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Preflop fold this hand or raise it BTF if you opt to play.
Nothing worse than someone behind you raising when you limp
and you have to dump it or you call and our OOP.

OTF folding is not as obvious as everyone makes it out to be. Raiser can have an Ace, flush draw , bottum two, or
air. With his range of hands it's pretty close, and if he has bottom two you've got some outs.

What I don't like about calling is your not completing the betting. With another active player behind me and for all
the above reasons I'll let this one go, but reluctantly and
I'll make a note about BB.

Bruce
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29 AM

you gotta rasie with the suited aces pre flop. don't listen to these folders. suited aces are the 3rd most valuable type of hand, behind big pairs and big cards, but ahead of small pairs and suited connectors. LAG baby LAG!

yea i call that. he most likely has a flush draw, but he could have just a pair 7's in the whole.....
Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Good point, I guess I should have clarified. I will play Ax in position, for the blind or dbl blind usually, and only if I have a good stack and implied odds.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Not me. Limping there is pretty bad. I check through the flop, too.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:23 PM

If you must place weak suited Aces, you should play them like you do small pocket pairs; that is, you need a GREAT flop (flush or flush draw, trips on the kicker not the Ace or spiking two pairs) to get involved afterwards. On your flop, I check-fold without any reads unless they make some donkish minbet. Then maybe I'll call and see a turn. But I am not leading that flop and I am folding to anything barely substantial.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop fold this hand or raise it BTF if you opt to play.
Nothing worse than someone behind you raising when you limp
and you have to dump it or you call and our OOP.

OTF folding is not as obvious as everyone makes it out to be. Raiser can have an Ace, flush draw , bottum two, or
air. With his range of hands it's pretty close, and if he has bottom two you've got some outs.

What I don't like about calling is your not completing the betting. With another active player behind me and for all
the above reasons I'll let this one go, but reluctantly and
I'll make a note about BB.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I am closing out the betting since my flop bet already folded out the SB.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:12 PM

gotta let this go.

you can only do so much with TP + middle kicker. If he is playing so wrecklessly to actually be behind right now, he'll soon be sniped off the table. I put him on trip threes or two pair or a better ace than you. He thinks he's real sneaky checking preflop and check-raising the flop, but he's got you here and it's only going to earn him an extra 55. don't pay him more for his bad play.

I echo other posts in that if you had entered the pot with a raise preflop (as you really should never be the FIRST to limp into the pot, ESP with a limping hand like A-xs or suited-connectors) you would have:

1) a better chance at taking the pot preflop
2) a better chance at disguising your flush if you hit
3) a better chance at building a large pot when you are scoping for a big hand (which wins large pots)
4) MUCH more information about your opponent's holdings. If he comes back at you with agression PREFLOP you know he's got a formidable PF holing, and you are 30% to win. (both a dominated ace and a ppair between 77 and AA is 30%/70%.)
5) If he comes back at you with action on the flop, (with a check-raise especially) then you know that he has you beat with a higher degree of certainty.
6) if the flop does not help him, it requires much bigger balls to come back and attack you for the pot after he calls your raise out of position and then checks the flop with his rags. You are much more likely to deter a bluff.

As such, you should enter the pot with a raise instead of a limp in this early-middle position, weak-suited ace situation.

Normally 2.75x the blinds is a good number, but since the blinds are so small you should make it a full 3 to discourage a little bit of speculation.

Cheers.