Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: How much $$ do the top online players earn?

But there are also some with lower winrates who manage to log a ton of hours and make it to $100k.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 PM

And there's James282 who jacks 160k in a month 'dabbling' w/ NL.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-10 ppl over 1M a year.

20 btwn 500k-1M

another 30 btwn 200k-500k

another 200 btwn 100k-200k

That'd be my guess if you held a gun to my head and made me estimate based on my knowledge of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would estimate this x 2.0

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered that actually but decided a lot of the current winners are lottery winners who are outdoing their expectation, and what I have here are exactly how many are expected to EV-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably, though, there are a fair number of players whose yearly EV is, say, $160K. But they will have a good chance of earning less than $150K in a given year.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM

I think the 200 number Schneids threw out is significantly off. By a factor of 5-10x.

Don't forget to think about the SNG and PLO players. Both are pretty popular nowadays and there are certainly more than a few making 100k+ at those games.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:44 AM

TeddyFBI, JJProdigy
Old 12-10-2005, 01:50 AM

I did a post a long time ago asking how much money people made overall in their career, there were only like 6 or so people who said over 100k I believe... majority were under 30k
Old 12-10-2005, 01:57 AM

I agree.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 AM

it's hard to say from the 2+2 community who's pullin g down big bucks. i know it ain't me. i'm with the guy trying to make enough for the mountain dew at the quicke mart.

in "ace on the river" barry g. says that playing online at the 150-300 level for 40 hours a sweek with a marginal advantage over the game(i think he said 2%advantage) you should make $150k per MONTH! he said that's what he would expect from a 'pro' that played at the highest stakes online. that puts you at $1.8 million a year.

that seems like crazy talk, but he did the numbers to back it up. he also said that wasn't good enough for him so he has to play live so he can make some real cash.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 PM

I guess it's a good question but the real question has to be, How much money can you make next year online? Personally for myself I'm still new, very new, less than 8 months playing No Limit, so I'll be happy if I break even next year, possibly if I earn up to $10,000 maybe.

I think it is also a bad idea to say oh there is a guy out there that makes 4 million a year online, so I can too. LeBron James was 19 years old when he entered the NBA and started dominating that by no means 19 year old high school basketball players should think they can do the same. Same as you can't look at Gus Hansen and say look how he's able to play anything at anytime and beat up on people with 7,2 I and you can't do it because we do not possess his skill set when it comes to poker. We have to understand ourselves, what our strengths and weaknesses are and formulate a goal based on that.

In the end the sky is the limit. I heard Chris "Jesus" Ferguson say one time that he's playing better poker now than ever before in his life and didn't he win the WSOP in 2000 or come damn close? My point is dedication, love for the game, and consistently studying hands and situations is what will make you better. I don't think 10 years ago anyone asking how much can you make in a year at poker, would of dreamed it would be over $10 million, so who knows? Can't control that, can only control how much better you become as a player.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 200 number Schneids threw out is significantly off. By a factor of 5-10x.

Don't forget to think about the SNG and PLO players. Both are pretty popular nowadays and there are certainly more than a few making 100k+ at those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Schneids is pretty much on the money. The site I'm most familiar with is Pokerstars, which happens to be one of the biggest. From what I've seen, there can't be many more than 100 people making "real" money on that site.