Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: 27$ Bubble-\"have your cake and shove it in Villain\'s face too\"

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see what game theory has to do with it. If I had 5 or 6x BB and hit top or second pair on that flop, I'm betting all my chips, and I'm most likely going to be calling if the big stack goes allin.

If you're betting Bigdope had an ace, then I'm betting that he's a horrible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then shortstack with 340 folds and he gets knocked out when he was ASSURED itm. Im betting he is not a horrible player and I would also bet you would do the same as him with Ax in that situation.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM

I really like this move. It is the perfect spot and SB has to lay anything but a monster down. Good Move.
BTW you try any of this with me and I will call you azz. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like this move. It is the perfect spot and SB has to lay anything but a monster down. Good Move.
BTW you try any of this with me and I will call you azz. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but that time Ill have flopped the set of 7s...you see, I like to "mix it up".

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 PM

I think this play is terrible and will never work in a higher buyin game.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're betting Bigdope had an ace, then I'm betting that he's a horrible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this play is terrible and will never work in a higher buyin game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny...cas i thought it might be bad because the buyin was too low. But without explaining why you think its terrible I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:11 PM

I think this is an obvious play and I make a lot of chips calling down bigstacks like this.

Your cEV is huge if you just go all in. If you want some interesting game theory, lets think about it some more. Your on a bubble that you have so many chips on that you can exploit the middle stacks severly.

Change your hand to 23. I still autoshove. If the small stack calls, it doesn't matter. If he doubles up, hes still short enough to where you can continue to dominate the hell out of this bubble. By you shoving 23 you are guaranteeing the chips are going to only two people. Either you are the shorty. Either way you can keep dominating the bubble. Your making a -cEV play to protect your future cEV possibilities.

Basically, you should be shoving everything.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an obvious play and I make a lot of chips calling down bigstacks like this.

Your cEV is huge if you just go all in. If you want some interesting game theory, lets think about it some more. Your on a bubble that you have so many chips on that you can exploit the middle stacks severly.

Change your hand to 23. I still autoshove. If the small stack calls, it doesn't matter. If he doubles up, hes still short enough to where you can continue to dominate the hell out of this bubble. By you shoving 23 you are guaranteeing the chips are going to only two people. Either you are the shorty. Either way you can keep dominating the bubble. Your making a -cEV play to protect your future cEV possibilities.

Basically, you should be shoving everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. But the exact reasons you say I push for me, for this one time, I decided were wrong. If shortie doubles up, he is almost even with the the other two, if he busts, so does my exploitation potential.

IOW, when I push, shortie will ALWAYS call and either outcome will result in there no longer being a discrepency in stack size among the other 3 (or other two, depending on whether I win or not).

I can often get stacks down to below 1000 4 handed as the BS and it is well worth it to widdle them down when I feel they are weak on the bubble. I completely disagree with your reasoning, although I do agree that you cannot go "wrong" open pushing this, as i do 99% of the time.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:33 PM

You can work the other three players on the bubble to < 3 BB, often, in a game with antes?

If so, this is all the more reason why you should be pushing, here. If the games are that weak tight why would you ever let a medium stack see a flop?

Also, if you do happen to win against the small stack, there is honestly no need for a bubble press anymore. Your cEV is probably much higher when you raise to isolate the short stack than when you just call to induce play against a medium stack. Any good player in a higher buy-in game knows what's going on here when you don't push, and if they are calling they are calling to double up against your weak bubble play, and to 'steal' the bubble from you.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can work the other three players on the bubble to < 3 BB, often, in a game with antes?

If so, this is all the more reason why you should be pushing, here. If the games are that weak tight why would you ever let a medium stack see a flop?

Also, if you do happen to win against the small stack, there is honestly no need for a bubble press anymore. Your cEV is probably much higher when you raise to isolate the short stack than when you just call to induce play against a medium stack. Any good player in a higher buy-in game knows what's going on here when you don't push, and if they are calling they are calling to double up against your weak bubble play, and to 'steal' the bubble from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing the bubble at the expense of going out 4th with a 350 stack left? Plus he still wouldnt have me covered so in essense, he couldnt exactly 'steal' the bubble anyway.

In a higher buy-in game they might not interpret a bigstack who limps as doing so with a monster, but here they might...(because I had been pushing relentlessly on the other two up until now.)
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM

I think this play is making chips, and making thinking plays like this is a great way to learn about the bubble. I just don't think that you can make the MOST chips this way.

You're giving the mid stack way too much first place equity by making post-flop plays.

It's probably not 'terrible' but reading 2+2 makes me mean and I'm sorry!