Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Half Pot Limit Badugi

I'm a Badugi newbie so I'm just messing around with the micro-limits on Doyle's Room/Tribeca. I played "Half Pot Limit" (with $0.05/$0.10 blinds) for the first time today, a betting format I've never played before. I had a good session (ran $20 to $45), but I was pretty much just betting the "half pot" max everytime I was in a situation where I thought betting was appropriate, with the exception of one time when I had a 6-hi badugi after the last draw and made a small "please call me" bet that 2 guys called. Is this pretty much it for betting strategy in a half pot game or I am missing some of the subtle points?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Half Pot Limit Badugi

I think this is correct. I was betting small on the end with a monster hand too, but it may be better to bet big because when you are bluffing, you will also want to bet big.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM

I tried playing HL Badugi earlier this week, but I found my opponents were inflating the pot in a big-dick swinging contest. Playing PLO I can handle this, but playing HL Badugi it tended to put me on tilt a but. Any strategies for when it is safe to call a 1/2 pot bet from an aggressor?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM

It's hard to say when it's safe. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and drawing 3 times will only give you a Badugi 49 percent of the time.

If you think any Badugi will win then you can safely call if you think you'll be able to get good implied odds.

Definitely never call a raise this big if you ever have to draw more than 1 card. In fact I'm pretty sure I read you should only ever draw 1 card, which is most likely intuitive for you. I wouldn't call a raise with a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and two other spades or diamonds or pairs.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 AM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> It's hard to say when it's safe. A 2 3 and drawing 3 times will only give you a Badugi 49 percent of the time.
</pre><hr />

Is there any source anywhere for all the math behind badugi?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 AM

According to (I don't remember which book) Cloutier in any PL game you should only bet and raise the pot so as to not become readable at all. If you're not betting the Half Pot you're likely to lose a lot of value later on for your monster lows.

JMB
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to (I don't remember which book) Cloutier in any PL game you should only bet and raise the pot so as to not become readable at all. If you're not betting the Half Pot you're likely to lose a lot of value later on for your monster lows.

JMB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Cloutier idiosyncrasy; a lot of people would disagree with that. Of course you don't want to be betting the pot when you are strong and half the pot when you are weak, but it would be OK to bet the pot when there are plenty of draws possible and 2/3 the pot when the board is very dry. This is regardless of whether you are bluffing or have the nuts.

I think in this game half the pot is almost always appropriate. Maybe if your opponents are too tight you could get the same effect from slightly smaller bets.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in this game half the pot is almost always appropriate. Maybe if your opponents are too tight you could get the same effect from slightly smaller bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's what I was getting at. I also don't agree with the Pot bet every time, I do it usually, but I don't always agree with it. But I was getting at the fact that in half pot limit you should be betting the pot because you want to extract as much as possible with your monster hands, and once you show down once you should be able to stand pat, bet pot and have opponents break slightly better Padooki's, say if you held a 9 and got them to break their rough 8.

JMB
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess that's what I was getting at. I also don't agree with the Pot bet every time, I do it usually, but I don't always agree with it. But I was getting at the fact that in half pot limit you should be betting the pot because you want to extract as much as possible with your monster hands, and once you show down once you should be able to stand pat, bet pot and have opponents break slightly better Padooki's, say if you held a 9 and got them to break their rough 8.

JMB

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think there is no place for calling and breaking a badugi in half pot limit. You are never gettting the odds in the same way as you would in the limit game, so you are better to fold it.