Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib - the Slovenien Connection

While we're talking about Abdul and Slovenia...I wanted to add one little link to one of my favorite threads of all time. Abdul's Preflop Strategy
Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: DERB

[ QUOTE ]
I hardly play limit currently,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your playing mostly nl now?

-Brad
Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 PM

James, I'm not sure I understand how you could agree with most of what he just said.

You pretty clearly state that DERB has a losing style of play. I'm going to draw the logical next step that losing style of play = losing player. Your tacit explanation of DERB's results is that he is quite simply the luckiest poker player alive.

How could you find any value in analyzing his play?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib - the Slovenien Connection

[ QUOTE ]
shania smells like game theory... me likey... thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

One difference is game theory can be an optimal or expoitive strategy and is often taken to mean an optimal strategy, where you are playing so opponents can't exploit your tendencies.

Shania means you are trying to maximize you winnings and exploit your opponents weakness/flaws.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM

sc,

Even if he is a losing player (although that's VERY unlikely at this point) he most certainly loses FAR less than he theoretically should at least by "conventional wisdom" standards, and there'd still be significant value in determining why this is the case.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have played a lot of poker though. The idea that there is a single winning style of play is false beyond reason. The fact that people can't even understand that players like DERB exist and win, and win a lot, goes a long way in illustrating how little some people know about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't a single winning style of play. There are, however, several losing styles of play. His is one of them. Maybe he is a marginal winner, but the supposition that he is the biggest winner in the game(expectation wise) is just absurd. It's also slightly absurd that his biggest advocates are people who have played virtually no hands against him.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an advocate of DERB's, and have barely read the threads around him, nor have ever played against him, so I have no idea how big a winner he is.

I was just agreeing w/ Andrew's general comment re: the attitude of a number of posters across these forums.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have played a lot of poker though. The idea that there is a single winning style of play is false beyond reason. The fact that people can't even understand that players like DERB exist and win, and win a lot, goes a long way in illustrating how little some people know about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't a single winning style of play. There are, however, several losing styles of play. His is one of them. Maybe he is a marginal winner, but the supposition that he is the biggest winner in the game(expectation wise) is just absurd. It's also slightly absurd that his biggest advocates are people who have played virtually no hands against him.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an advocate of DERB's, and have barely read the threads around him, nor have ever played against him, so I have no idea how big a winner he is.

I was just agreeing w/ Andrew's general comment re: the attitude of a number of posters across these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I agree with that statement as well out of the context of this particular player. This is my general beef with the NL forum, for example.
-James
Old 11-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Has anyone pointed out these threads or the DERB data to Mason or David? I would be very interested in analysis of his game by one or both of them.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: More Derb Hands

I have never really understood what the fascination is with Derb/Lojzka/Brizganc -- i routinely own that guy when i'm to his left. I certainly don't LIKE playing with the guy because I know he's pushed me off a couple winners with his screwball turn raises, but 3-betting him preflop is a pretty simply counter-strategy.

Do you know what kind of trash you have to raise with to get all the way to 17%?? As for postflop, I make a habit of checking behind him with my mediocre turn hands, because it nearly ALWAYS draws a river bet out of him. Sometimes the river card kills me, but more often I catch him making a losing desperation play, and he'll also call a river bet with only ace-high, as has been pointed out.

Putting this guy up on a pedestal as though he's discovered some holy grail of LHE is just silly. He makes a living out of bullying unimaginitive TAG / ABC Poker / raise-fold-to-a-3-bet 2+2ers.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: More Derb Hands

anyone have a graph on this guy? like to see what his trend looks like, if it's consistent and whatnot. Someone said they have 100k hands on him.