Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #1

The preflop raise has everything to do with curtains stack, methinks. I'm betting he makes this steal raise FAR more frequently with 2K in chips vs. 1K. If the BB is a 2+2'er it certainly figures in as well, as I think it's a safe assumption they would at the very least be aware of each other and maybe even have a decent history.

Because the two factors I just mentioned are obvious to the BB as well, I believe his hand range is looser than normal, maybe something as loose as 55+, A8+, TJs+, JQo+.

Anyway the flop play of curtains totally baffles me. I'd really like to know what his action would have been if the BB would have potted the flop.

Maybe the bet of 60 confused him and he decided to "call for information" knowing the BB would likely check behind on the turn if he was bluffing. Once the BB exposed himself with the turn check, curtains vowed to call any reasonable river bet. He hated the river but called as planned, and lost.

That is the only logical scenario I can construct for this line. I'm eager to hear the truth on this one.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Screw the results...I wanna hear Curtains train of thought far more than I care about the results.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw the results...I wanna hear Curtains train of thought far more than I care about the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to see/hear both.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Betting this hand (TPWK) on the flop doesnt accomplish much with deepish stacks. If he misses he should bet most flops to try and take the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he gets top pair betting doesn't do him much good, but if he completely misses then he should bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my standard for the way I play...usually...

If I'm playing a supreme LAG (in my home games) I'll bet out either way 'cuz I will get very loose calls...but in ANY other case...

Check = hit
Bet = miss

Standard for me.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Though I am curious here...exactly what hand are we putting villian on? I think I might take the same line Curtains did here - but with the painted turn/river...its hard to imagine a hand we bet... I mighta block bet the river...or the turn for that matter...If I went into check/calling mode - I can definitley see myself wimping out the hand. I appreciate the couragousness of the hand though...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Betting this hand (TPWK) on the flop doesnt accomplish much with deepish stacks. If he misses he should bet most flops to try and take the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if he gets top pair betting doesn't do him much good, but if he completely misses then he should bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my standard for the way I play...usually...

If I'm playing a supreme LAG (in my home games) I'll bet out either way 'cuz I will get very loose calls...but in ANY other case...

Check = hit
Bet = miss

Standard for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's standard for a lot of people, and I think it's easy to exploit if your opponent is observant enough to attach that read to you.

It's universal enough that I assume my opponents play this way until I have a different read on them. Maybe curtains was hoping the villian had this read on him, hoping to make his check/call on the flop and check on the turn appear very strong.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM

hey Layne Flack,

Fold preflop.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:14 PM

I'm curious why he would make a that move so early in a tournament. He is not picking up very many chips and risking a rather drastic table image if found out.

I can answer from my standpoint that the few times I do such a thing is when I'm trying to feel out the play of the guy to my left. If I learn early (and cheaply) that he is weak, then this information can be invaluable later in the tournament when a soft BB can turn into a chip ATM.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's standard for a lot of people, and I think it's easy to exploit if your opponent is observant enough to attach that read to you.

It's universal enough that I assume my opponents play this way until I have a different read on them. Maybe curtains was hoping the villian had this read on him, hoping to make his check/call on the flop and check on the turn appear very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mix in some bet out hits and I'm usually alright.

I gotta say I have been surprised that no one has attached this read to me. ...maybe I bet enough hits that they wimp out on the half-read...

Plus online, I don't really play with players who would notice this kinda thing...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is not picking up very many chips and fueling a hugely profitable table image if found out.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]