Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Failed check/raise on turn I get him om river.

only 87 hands on villian so far he's at 20/13/4,1 so seems to be a tag. I open with a marginal K9s. Options could be made for raising flop but it seemed a bit similar to a wa/wb on the flop thus I want him to bet all the way. Turn hits me and I go for checkraise.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (5.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Failed check/raise on turn I get him om river.

Check-raise the flop. You are ahead of a lot more hands that he is 3-betting with PF than behind. Your hand is vulnerable to be outdrawn so charge don't give free cards.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 PM

I disagree. I think WA/WB is much more appropriate on the flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:04 PM

I'm with wookie. Once it gets HU, we have no reason to push him off a worse hand, and no reason to spew if we have one.

Checkraising that flop would suck if he threebet.

Also, I tend to wuss out and bet/call the river out of fear that it checks through, but that's probably bad.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise the flop. You are ahead of a lot more hands that he is 3-betting with PF than behind. Your hand is vulnerable to be outdrawn so charge don't give free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain isn't so wild that we're likely to be ahead of way more hands than we're behind. If we are ahead, I don't agree that our hand is vulnerable to be outdrawn.

To OP: I like the line you took this hand. What was your plan if the turn and river were blanks?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 PM

I was going to say that checkraising the river sucks because AK, AJ, etc... just got there, but those hands would bet the turn, wouldn't they?

Hmm.

AQ is looking pretty likely. I still don't love checkraising. A bet/call gets two bets in and allows him to overplay his Ax hands, while protecting you from getting 3bet when he has a monster.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Well at turn I put him on Ahigh or mid PP leaning towards A-high. I don't think he checks trough turn with either AJ or AK thus I believe I'm ahead on the river. Actually A mid PP like 88 or TT is quite possible I think and they are probably going to check trough river aswell.

So your bet/call has it's merits I supose, though I rarely think he raises river here.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:03 PM

I'm using WA/WB line here so with blanks it would be check/call turn and bet/call river. If he checks through turn I obviosly lead river however not an A, in which case I check/cry.

BTW villian showed ATo
Old 12-09-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villian showed ATo

[/ QUOTE ]
it is AQ or TT very often based on the turn. ATo seems a distant 3rd, QQ 4th. TT may not call a bet anyway.

i think the river c/r is good here because his turn check so narrowly defined his range, unless you think he would raise the river with AQ/AT (possible). this way, betting gives him the chance to make a bad call with TT (whereas he really should not bet it when you check), and still gets you two bets from the aces.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:12 PM

Yeah ATo Suprised me aswell. I also think that I get more from C/R this river.