Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: AA hand id never think to play like this...

[ QUOTE ]
I read the hand, I read the replies, and I'm still confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the source of your confusion?

Barron
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the source of your confusion?

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok was looking at the unedited version. Makes sense now. I don't like his play because there is some small chance it will get checked through on the turn and that would be awful. I think leading is superior and if you are behind, well you are behind, but I want to get the added value from forcing SB to call two cold, and then another two when it's back to him.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:25 AM

I don't like his turn check-raise. In his position I'd bet the turn worried that it'd be checked through if I didn't.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 AM

i think i would like it better if he was in position. then the pot is smaller on the turn, people are still unlikely to reraise without him being beat and he can make it tough on every one when he is still in front by making them call 2 bets. also he can then bet if its checked on the turn and avoid a free card,if he is still ahead. although the check raise isnt terrible if he can reliably fold to reraise.
matty
matty
Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

on the turn when the diamond hits, JJ/TT/99 are hard pressed to reraise

[/ QUOTE ]

They shouldn't be.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

on the turn when the diamond hits, JJ/TT/99 are hard pressed to reraise

[/ QUOTE ]

They shouldn't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you put him on when he check calls a draw heavy flop after capped preflop action and checkraises both the pf 3bettor and capper on the turn when the d falls?

Barron
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to give MP a flush. With the sb just calling along, I'd want to 3-bet with position and either gain some equity on his draw or knock him out. This also turns the tables on MP, because if he does have a bigger set, now HE'S hard pressed to play back. And if he DOES have the flush and plays back, it's not a complete catastrophe, since you'll have outs.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Sorry...

But I just realized you didn't ask about your play, you asked about HIS... Sorry - lol

I think it's dicey, (and I mean NO offense to you), but if his opponents aren't strong enough to play back with better hands then it does have some merit. He's getting max value when he's ahead without the threat of getting punched in the face by a better hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Sorry...

[ QUOTE ]
But I just realized you didn't ask about your play, you asked about HIS... Sorry - lol

I think it's dicey, (and I mean NO offense to you), but if his opponents aren't strong enough to play back with better hands then it does have some merit. He's getting max value when he's ahead without the threat of getting punched in the face by a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said i pla yed the hand well. on the turn i had a good deal of trouble naming a range for the villian. the check call on the flop was wierd. i didn't think he'd do it w/ AA/KK/QQ (well maybeQQ), the fact that the diamond hit and that he checkraised was what made me lean towards just calling...but having the blind in there is a problem b/c now im letting him draw cheap to maybe 1 diamond when i could possibly be ahead and be against a non diamond c'r hand and save a pot. that is a consideration i didn't take at the table.

further, i didn't consider enough that even if its capped i have equity. i did consider that but decided that folding the river in that size pot would be problematic.

i think now the turn is a definate 3 bet due to the above considerations.

the turn c'r did have the freezing effect on me b/c of his pf+flop play, i couldn't put him on the likely hands and he sacrificed some value when ahead to save a lot of bets when behind with that strong of a hand. thats why i thought it was interesting.

Barron
Old 11-22-2005, 07:27 PM

If MP is as you say decent, and he probbly knows u are good, is it not possible that he played this hand to do just what he did? in that it made you take a second look at how he was playing, adding a little deception perhaps? and in hindsight not knowing you had a set he ended up saving a few bets. This is the only explanation I can come up with in why he played his hand this way.