Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Default advice needed for a player moving from .50/1 to 1/2 and struggling

ok i'm looking for advice on moving up in limits for my room mate.

he's been playing .50/1 limit, 6 tabling for the past few months. i guess he's done fairly well and has something like 100,000 hands at 1.8bb/100 hands. so i told him that he should take 150 big bets at 1/2 and give it a shot and see how he does because it's really important to move up in limits when you're playing that low rather than just dick around at a lower limit for ages. so he did that and i guess at first he got up 100 big bets, then lost 150 so he's down 250 big bets total.

so basically he's asked me if he should move back down to .50/1 and make up the money he lost and then move up and try 1/2 again or if he should keep playing at 1/2.

i moved up through limits pretty quickly up to 3/6. i started at .25/.50 and got up to 3/6 within like 4 or 5 months ( i'm now a questionable 10/20 player and a consistent 5/10 player ).

so basically i'm wondering what i should tell him to do. my first instinct is just to say that there is not that big a difference between .50/1 and 1/2 so he should just stick it out at 1/2. but my more rational side thinks he should just spend some time reviewing books, reading hand historys posted on 2+2 and just work on making better decisions regardless of what limits he's playing ( i played 2 tables at a time up until i got to 5/10 and although i play 8 now i'm not sure i think playing 6 at a time like he does is benificial while you're still in a stage where learning about the game is 10x more important than maximizing your win rate ).

anyway, any advice would be appreciated.