Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: The great chess book con game

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of years ago, I took up chess playing. You would not believe how many chess books are on the market. There are more books on chess than all other games combined! So, I started collecting chess books. However, you only actually need perhaps 10 of the very best books. Paul Morphy, the greatest player of the 19th century, only had 4 or 5 books in his collection. Basically, it is all a giant CON GAME put on by the chess authors and publisher. Now, I am starting to wonder if all these poker books are not a giant con game as WELL!

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, calling chess books a 'con' because you don't know which ones are worthwhile is pretty absurd. Claiming there are only ten is more so, and using a player from the mid 19th century as an example of the lack of need of chess literature is just plain stupid. I mean, think of what you are saying: some genius in the mid 19th century proves you don't need to study a particular field? Might as well apply that logic to math, sciences, you name it.

As to the 10 books, well, I'm curious to know what those 10 books would be. Unless you mean 10 books for a sub-1900 player, and then another 10 for the sub-Master, and then another 10 for the Master. Of course, you can also go the way of software, but again, you'd have to know where to shop. If you went with the Chess Mentor series, you'll be paying a fortune for some OK instruction. There are some superb programs though by Convekta, but as in anything, the real key is what you do with the material. Just owning it won't do the job. Still, that's another discussion.

If you give a rough estimate of your playing level, tournament results and the like, I'll make a few recommendations. If youy're still interested in playing chess that is.

As to my qualifications, I am a Master level player, taught chess in the past for several years, and worked as a chess software developer.

Albert