Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Does anybody think that the police were tipped off by a rival?

I would think a rival club would rat out one of these games? It's alot better for your bottom line to have less games for the player to choose from......
Old 10-21-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: AP club just got busted

And my point is that there is a basis under NY Law by which an officer can detain you until you identify yourself. The fact that your refusal to identify yourself is not an independent criminal act (for those following the discussion NRS 199.280 essientially makes it a crime to refuse to comply with the lawful order of a police officer -- the Hibel case focussed on whether the order to identify yourself was a lawful order). The fact of the matter is that Hibel has implications for New Yorkers.

I do acknowledge there are differences between the NY and Nv statutes, but this began as a discussion of whether one had to identify oneself to the police not whether one had to provide an account of one's activities. Hibel does not go so far as to authorize that provision of the NY Statute (but since the Court got Hibel wrong I don't have confidence that they suddenly are going to start getting them right in the near future).
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 PM

was AP the name of the club in brooklyn around coney?

If not, well that was busted the other day aswell...
Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And my point is that there is a basis under NY Law by which an officer can detain you until you identify yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
sure, but this has nothing to do with Hibel. the same was true before Hibel.
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that your refusal to identify yourself is not an independent criminal act

[/ QUOTE ]
and thus its not a violation of the law, as you claimed earlier
[ QUOTE ]

(for those following the discussion NRS 199.280 essientially makes it a crime to refuse to comply with the lawful order of a police officer -- the Hibel case focussed on whether the order to identify yourself was a lawful order). The fact of the matter is that Hibel has implications for New Yorkers.

[/ QUOTE ]
how so? until NY enacts an statute making it a crime to not comply with a cop asking for ID, how does the Hibel case matter?
[ QUOTE ]

I do acknowledge there are differences between the NY and Nv statutes, but this began as a discussion of whether one had to identify oneself to the police not whether one had to provide an account of one's activities. Hibel does not go so far as to authorize that provision of the NY Statute (but since the Court got Hibel wrong I don't have confidence that they suddenly are going to start getting them right in the near future).

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. the NY statute was not ruled on.

bottom line. it is not unlawful, in violation of the law, a crime, or whatever you want to call it, to not show ID, or otherwise identify yourself, to a police officer in NY when he requests it. People v. Offen, 408 N.Y.S.2d 914 ("Plainly, ignoring an officer's request for identification is not a crime, nor does that act supply any such element. Though it is clear that such conduct risks pursuit and arrest, no crime has been charged here.")

[ QUOTE ]
Though you are not required to hand over an ID you are required to identify yourself and falsely identifying yourself would be a violation of law

[/ QUOTE ]

100% false under New York law.

Thank you come again. Please keep your incorrect legal opinion off of this forum.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????? this is new news.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Does anybody think that the police were tipped off by a rival?

[ QUOTE ]
I would think a rival club would rat out one of these games? It's alot better for your bottom line to have less games for the player to choose from......

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like faulty logic to me. The cops already know where the games are and complaints will only bring the heat down on everyone.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????? this is new news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I heard from a player that a club i used to go to here on coney island in brooklyn has been raided (heard this Wed). It sounded like the same thing that happended at AP. This was a pretty nice club..high games with some high roller donkeys (Average stack at the 1-2 was around(800). Bunch of BPC players moved to this one when it was raised. They were pretty tight on membership, i got in by knowing a dealer. Considering I heard from my friend at night, I guess they players were released sortly after

I will see if I can get some info

Sounds like this was a coordinated attack, or just a coincidence that 3 clubs went down this month
Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 AM

At this point I am sure the others are bored. I will follow up to you in PM tomorrow
Old 10-22-2005, 08:28 AM

New York really needs to legalize cardrooms. It can save a lot of people don't play in the city in fear of losing their money in a raid a trip to AC.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will see if I can get some info

Sounds like this was a coordinated attack, or just a coincidence that 3 clubs went down this month

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me a PM with the clubs name if it is still open, or post the name if it got shut down please. I never heard of that one. So far the borough's and Manhattan seem to be one different agendas, but we could be wrong about that.