Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: What good are we? As poker players, are we socially responsible?

Poker is thriving in this country and we have the time / inclination to do these kind of debates because we are a part of this affluent culture.

Pro sports, musicians, poker, these are entertainment. Some do it for recreation and some for money. The reason some do it for money is because it exists, it is an option, and/or it is something they are good at so they choose it as a way to make a living.

My Mom's Dad was a deep mine coalminer all his life. He provided coal so people could have heat and wouldn't freeze to death. My Dad's Dad was a carpenter. He built a lot of the homes that my friends grew up in and my home too. Because of these homes people did not go homeless.

They did not do this out of responsibility for society, however, they did it to survive and to feed their families. Scabs came in from out of state to take mining jobs during the strike. My Grandad helped see to it they did not take his job. Was that socially responsible? If he had given them his job they would have money in their pocket instead of his.

People that tried mining and couldn't physically take it or the emotional stress of the danger found somthing else. Aspiring carpenters who couldn't drive a nail straight, they found something else. Poker in the true reality of doing what is available and what you are good at to take care of your own and contribute to consumerism, well, it's the same as any job. There are tradeoffs. There are some who can't make it and do it partime like home projects. Or whatever. Poker is poker. Money is money. Competition is competition.

I used to teach school and coach wrestling. We had to stop giving special recognition awards for athletes who excelled. It might make the other kids feel bad or hurt their self esteem becasue they didn't work their butt off all summer and stay after and do drills and wrestle with the coaches. My God. I wish every kid coming through school had to play poker for a semester for their pop and candy money. If anything, I think poker is beneficial to all who play. May we always be fortunate enough to have poker thriving and people playing it.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be a rant.