Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Ugly AKo hand

UTG+2 is very loose, and she was giving me all sorts of problems -- partly because I was having trouble hitting flops but also because (I think) I was playing badly.

She's 71/10/1.5 after 180 hands. Her preflop cap wasn't exactly a surprise. My expectation at the time was that she would cap anything she would open with. (Earlier, she had capped with AJs heads-up, for instance, after the tight BB 3-bet her EP raise. Then she called down unimproved.)

Also, I expected her to bet until played back at postflop.

UTG hadn't gone to many showdowns and had kind of escaped my attention, but his numbers are 34/9/0.4 after 121 hands.

The flop froze me up in this one.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

<font color="#0000FF">When UTG+2 bet as expected, I told myself that maybe I should just fold. Then I thought, "No, she just has AQ/AJ. Checkraise." I hesitated while the computer beeped at me, hesitated some more, and then decided a checkraise wouldn't be very convincing after such a long delay. Then I compromised and called.</font>

Turn: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 15 BB

I'm mostly wondering what I should've done on the flop, but feel free to comment on the rest of the hand as well. (I wasn't really sure what to do on the river, for instance.)
Old 10-02-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Ugly AKo hand

PF is standard. Flop -- maybe a checkraise to blow away UTG, because you're ahead of LAG more often than behind. But a call is ok and reevaluate on the turn.

Turn is great.

River, I'd just check-call. When she calls the turn c/r, she has something; I'd let her bet a worse hand on the river, and not give you the chance to fold TPTK, as you did.

She may have a Q, she may not.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:27 AM

Against players like these I try to go to showdown as cheaply as possible with Ace high or a small pair. When I have TP/TK or better I go to war. On the river I would just check/call and hope my hand is good 1 in 13 times. I want to showdown against these types of players.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 AM

PF ok.
Flop I would check-raise to try to get UTG out.
Turn ok.
Since UTG+2 is such a LAG I would check-call the river hoping to induce a bluff.