Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: I love 2+2! (sarcasm, long)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to play weak-tight, but I think selective, not hyper, aggression is the way to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hyper aggression is best left to experts, and short handed play. Selective aggression will get the money in most ring games.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:49 AM

apply logic to all of your decisions. know why you are betting, raising, or calling. if you do not know why you are doing a certain action in a situation then you should think about until you understand.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:06 AM

raise preflop
Old 02-09-2005, 01:15 AM

I don't read the micro/ss forum much so I can't really comment on the ramming and jamming they're advocating...but from what I've seen it seems like there are a lot of players that are super raise happy...like who can have the highest aggression rating.

That said, I still think one is better off posting hands there and anywhere than not by far.

20k hands. Pff. That's nothing. You play long enough you'll go that long and have a negative bb/100.

Nobody is holding your hand, making you read this.

I would be a mediocre player at best if it wasn't for this site. You just have to learn to post the right questions at the right time and also to analyze or ask why the top posters are saying what they're saying. There are REASONS behind every check/bet/call/raise...learn those, not the actions.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20k hands. Pff. That's nothing. You play long enough you'll go that long and have a negative bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, dude. But my problem is that I don't think I'm playing well. For example, I'll raise someone's bet on the river when I've got a good hand, not great hand. Then he'll reraise me, we'll show down and he hit his 3 outer or whatever. I had a feeling I was beaten since I was the aggressor the whole hand and his river bet came out of nowhere. So I just leaked 2 big bets when I could have just called it down. It seems the standard answer in the SS forums would be "calling is weak-tight, you should raise for value".

I think my "old" game had a post-flop aggressiveness number just under 2. Then there were all these little icons and everyone said you had to be the moneybag (TA-A) to make the most money. Since I was an eagle (TA-N) I looked for ways to increase my postflop aggression. Well the higher that number has gotten, the smaller my winrate has. Also, I know for a fact that one of the most successful players on these forums has a lot lower postflop aggression number than mine.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be a mediocre player at best if it wasn't for this site. You just have to learn to post the right questions at the right time and also to analyze or ask why the top posters are saying what they're saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really need to focus on the advice of the top players. It's easy to get information overload here.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the advice, Ed. I actually just bought your book and have read the first 50 pages or so. I really like it so far and am excited to read and re-read the rest. I've always felt the best part of my game has been preflop so I'm looking forward to finding ways to improve my postflop play.

It'll be interesting to see how to put the information of your book and HEPFAP together to add depth to my poker arsenal and my general understanding of the game.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I know for a fact that one of the most successful players on these forums has a lot lower postflop aggression number than mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my aggression is a little lower than most post-flop 2.20...VPIP has an influence on it so i'll include that too - 17.40%

I agree, unrestrained aggression isn't where it's at. The check/call is often a very useful tool.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 AM

Raise pre-flop. Raise the flop. Raise the turn.

Check-raise the river.

That is all.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest reading the posts in the Mid- and High-Stakes forum from the excellent players there.

[/ QUOTE ]

sage advice