Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-25-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Funny Hand

I remember reading somewhere that you should try and check quads somewhere . . . I can't believe I actually got action . . .

Michael

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (1.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises

River - (7.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (9.90 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $195 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ Th 8h 2h Jc 9h 4h As ] [ a flush, ten high -- Th,9h,8h,4h,2h ]

Hero: [ Qd Qc Qs Qh 4c 2s 6d ] [ four of a kind, queens -- Qd,Qc,Qs,Qh,6d ]
Old 12-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Funny Hand

You read that in 7CS4AP ... very nice hand.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:48 AM

I cant believe you got action either, your completion preflop tells them you've probably got trips on forth and when you start betting you get raised by a bad flush?!? I love it.

BTW, I usually just call on 3rd and try and hit them later on unless you have alot of loose calling stations to act after you.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:27 AM

I was 3-tabling at the time, and I didn't notice the limper.

Since I'm pretty aggressive anyway, I figured a open-limp would look suspicious. Plus, these guys always think I'm stealing anyway!

Michael
Old 12-25-2005, 08:00 PM

You certainly were lucky to make any money. Had it been me in the hand, i would have immediatly hit the fold after you paired your queens, checked it, after raising it on third. And if the fold button were not immediatly available, I would have unplugged my cable. And if that didn't work, I would unplug my computer. And if that didn't work, I would switch off the fuse. And if that didn't work, I would burn down the house. Anything, to get myself quickly out of that hand. What was that caller thinking?
Old 12-25-2005, 08:38 PM

If they think you're stealing, that's a good reason to just bet on fourth.

When someone raises on third and then checks after pairing his door card, alarm bells should go off. I lean towards betting quads on fourth myself. I think the advice in 7CS4AP applies mostly to whne you are playing against thinking players. Against clueless players, I think betting out is the better play.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they think you're stealing, that's a good reason to just bet on fourth.

When someone raises on third and then checks after pairing his door card, alarm bells should go off. I lean towards betting quads on fourth myself. I think the advice in 7CS4AP applies mostly to whne you are playing against thinking players. Against clueless players, I think betting out is the better play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even against 3-5o and J-2o? I mean, what can they have where they don't say "geez, he's probably just got queens" and then fold anyways? Letting the opponent make a flush and pay off 3 bets was just right here.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:17 AM

3rd:Completion correct,imo.Looks natural.

4th:Check cries slowplay.I bet & desperately pray for action.

5th:If somebody hit a threatening looking card,you could check & try to look scared.As it is,I would bet.But I'm sure I must be wrong about this.

Nice hand.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 PM

I assume the donk that paid you off is on your "buddy list".
On an aggressive table with medium to high ante structure I've had a lot of luck with a full double bet on fourth then checking fifth. They now assume queens only and take over the betting for you.