Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Admitting defeat

About August 10th I decided I would take the rest of the month off to focus on the 20/40 and 30/60 games as the bigger games were stressing me out and making poker not fun. I had a blast the rest of the month and a few days into september I got back into the higher games again with a very clear mind. I won quite a bit right away but then ran bad and ended the month with 20k less than I had on the 12th. Or maybe I'm not as good as I thought and don't really have an edge. I was pretty sure I did as there were lots of sick beats. I was still upbeat and feeling good (james can attest to this) but wasn't sure if the most money can be made at the bigger games over the 30's and 20's for a player like me. I kept trudging along.

Things went decent then this past Monday I had a great day. I think my biggest day ever. +34k. Was really hot and I was playing great poker. Today was the complete opposite. -48k. ooof.

After 38k I took a break. I wasn't upset and was feeling 'fine' but am sure I had lost my fearlessness. You need it to beat the high limit games. I didn't have it. Went and played live for 4 hours. Came back, dropped another 10k. That's a sick amount of money. I'm not upset, I just don't think I'm ready for this kind of stuff...and that's what's frustrating to me. I don't like failing or admitting defeat on stuff, but I think the right play here is finishing the month playing 30's. I'm still up 9k on the month and I gotta remind myself that's still a great paycheck. At least the 50/100 / 100/200 party games suck usually...so it won't be a huge temptation.

High-limits: You win again. I'm sure we'll meet again someday...when I'm ready.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Admitting defeat

at least u gave it another go....and im sure u will again! and are doing good mentally with the losses!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 AM

You know what might really help? If you passed on your knowledge, like in that movie.......So, how about tutoring me for free......You get to look at your game from a fresh perspective as you are correcting mistakes of another, that you no longer make, however, you will be addressing issues of hands that will have you looking at possibilities from another perspective.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 AM

If you're Bicyclekick on Party and your Empire name is what I thought it was S..S.. that means I saw you playing at least 8 50/100+ tables at the same time which may be a tad much. Although I think these 2 players have a bit different stats so I'm probably wrong.

The higher limit games are very rarely good though and usually only for 20-30 minutes at a time. The nice thing after playing them is bad beats on the 30 now feel like chump change and it's much easier to put them in their proper perspective.

Best regards,
-f
Old 10-13-2005, 06:52 AM

The greatest victory for a conqueror is to be conquered.

This quote seems right on the money for this post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

personally I like stress-free 20-40 ~ 30-60 games.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:00 AM

How much hands did you play at 100/200+?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:26 AM

When I played 100-200 for a time, I was sure I had an edge b/c the play was so awful. Didn't stop me from losing a sickening sum in one day that truly made me HATE LIFE. Then I said...why am I doing this to myself when I can make good money at the 20 and 30 games with no financial stress? So that's what I did and it was the best decision I personally have ever made. To satisfy my urge to play higher, I do so when I'm in Atlantic City. Reasons: The games are MUCH better than online in terms of action and clueless pit gamblers wandering in and the pace is much slower. Anyway, that's my take...every night does not have to be a do or die financial consequence.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much hands did you play at 100/200+?

[/ QUOTE ]

of 100/200+

including 50/100:
Old 10-13-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I played 100-200 for a time, I was sure I had an edge b/c the play was so awful. Didn't stop me from losing a sickening sum in one day that truly made me HATE LIFE. Then I said...why am I doing this to myself when I can make good money at the 20 and 30 games with no financial stress? So that's what I did and it was the best decision I personally have ever made. To satisfy my urge to play higher, I do so when I'm in Atlantic City. Reasons: The games are MUCH better than online in terms of action and clueless pit gamblers wandering in and the pace is much slower. Anyway, that's my take...every night does not have to be a do or die financial consequence.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a great post. i'm feeling the same thing lately. i play high limits and just get beat by the most sickening bad beats, so you know the game is good, yes i'm still losing a lot of money (although maybe not a lot of BETS in terms of the game i'm playing). it just makes you feel sick, and i think back to the 30/60 and how it has been my bread and butter and all the money i've made from it, and it just seems so clear that the best thing to do is to stay there for a long while.

i also like the part of your post that talks about live play. i agree that if you are gonna play higher, just reserve it for live play.. the games are fishier, it's easier to concentrate (for me) and more fun than online by far.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 AM

WOW. Thanks for posting.

A timely retreat is worth a thousand victories.