Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 AM

Default trips on flop

playing micro pot-limit, I checked w/ A 2 offsuit, only to have a 9 and two additional 2's come out. I bet small as not to scare anyone off. I got two callers. Turn card a queen, bet again and got one caller. River a blank, I bet the pot only to get re-raised. I re-raised only to be re-re-raised and pretty much put all in. I called thinking he had a 2 also, but bad kicker. Turns out he had pocket queens, which were never raised pre-flop.

Did I play right in my re-raise? And should I have figured out he had a boat with him re-raising. Turned out to be a costly hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: trips on flop

First off, use the hand converter to post hands from now on. Take the word "texas" out of the HH before you convert it. You'll get a ton more replies that way.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way...

On the river, betting is fine, but I'd just call the raise. You said that you expected to see another 2, but why would anyone be in the hand in the first place with a 2? It's low limit, so I guess it isn't out of the question that someone limped K2s or something, but I think you're going to be up against 9s full or whatever-the-river-blank-was full more often than not.

Also, I don't know how draw heavy the board was, but if there were draws, you might want to reconsider your line of 'leading small to keep others around'. That's exactly what you don't want to do on a draw heavy board. So if the board was drawless, then yeah, go ahead and make that small lead. But if there were 2 to a flush or something, I think a check-raise on either the flop or the turn (depending on if the board had draws on the flop or turn) would be a better line. That way, you still get some more money in the pot, but you have the chance to give others incorrect odds to make their draws.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM

thanks for the reply....I'll take your suggestions. The board was not draw heavy. I just never stopped to think about anyone having a pocket pair as there was no raise pre-flop from anyone. My mistake, and it cost me.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 PM

pot the flop

after getting called on flop and turn, check/call the river. definitely don't 3-bet the river...usually only a full-house would raise you there.