Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 AM

Default $55: Have TPTK and facing a reraise on flop

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1675)
UTG+1 (t1065)
MP1 (t1310)
CO (t1685)
Button (t2005)
HERO (t1455)
BB (t805)

Preflop: HERO is in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises t100</font>, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, HERO calls t75, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t350) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
HERO checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t200</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">HERO raises t400</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises t400</font>, HERO? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

no reads. UTG's min raise preflop could mean anything.

What would you do, and why?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: $55: Have TPTK and facing a reraise on flop

Hard to find an excuse for UTGs PF miniraise (maybe AA, but UTG?), thus it is hard to think of him as a good player.

Then, the lame ass reraise at the flop? At the 55s? I have a bad leak: I need to know. But at the lower buy ins I can get this knowledge at a good price. I think you better fold here.

Oh, maybe you should also not miniraise his flop raise next time.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I hate this spot since it's tough to define his hand, so I'd generally check/call the initial flop bet and see how he reacts to the turn, especially now that the third player has folded. Building a big flop pot here on a draw board OOP versus an UTG minraiser can lead to nasty things.

As played I probably fold to his flop reraise. My guess is you're crushed or at best splitting, but the PF minraise is typically not AK up front. Shoving here doesn't accomplish much since you'll fold out underpairs, split AK, and get called by AA &amp; monsters. Further he'll have odds to call if he was semibluffing some QTh-esque draw.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:32 AM

Tough spot. Fold or raise all in...

I think he has something, but I also think you've given him good reason to think you are bluffing with the preflop call/flop min-check raise.

He's got a set, AA, AK, or he's in trouble. I think I raise all in and find out if he has QQ/JJ/TT/KQ. This may or may not be wise.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough spot. Fold or raise all in...

I think he has something, but I also think you've given him good reason to think you are bluffing with the preflop call/flop min-check raise.

He's got a set, AA, AK, or he's in trouble. I think I raise all in and find out if he has QQ/JJ/TT/KQ. This may or may not be wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think i min raised? I think i raised 600, so it was 400 more than his bet. i'll check my logs. (i'm using Pergusu's converter and not Bisons, so that could explain it???)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 AM

I would push the flop instead of raising t400. In this situation, I'm usually willing to risk all my chips. If he has a set or an overpair, I'm going broke. Raising to 400 on the flop puts 1/3 of your stack in the middle, and while you could still get away from the hand if you wanted to, it's not a great idea.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Push preflop, having failed to do that, check-raise all in on the flop.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think i min raised? I think i raised 600, so it was 400 more than his bet. i'll check my logs. (i'm using Pergusu's converter and not Bisons, so that could explain it???)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you might as well go all in because you have already put in half of your chips. Another 700 to win 2300 is pretty good odds in this spot.