Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Default 1/2 $200 Max, full ring Live with Middle Set

Played this last night and just have one question about flop play because of stack sizes. We've played an orbit and the game is starting off slow as usual. Lots of limping and no raising preflop. So everyone involved has just about $200.

I pick up black 10s UTG and make it $12 straight. My friend reraises another $15. I've played tons of hands with this guy and we know how each other plays. This means he's got one of 5 hands: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, or AK. The button calls, the big blind calls, and I call. $108 in the pot.

Flop comes:
Kh 10h 7d.

The BB checks. I know my friend will bet AA, AK. I think it's 50/50 whether he bets KK, QQ, JJ.

Do I bet the pot $100 (about half of what I have left), go for a check raise and risk a free card, or just move in?

Thoughts and comments always appreciated.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: 1/2 $200 Max, full ring Live with Middle Set

I'd limp here, nonetheless...

What will he think you have if you bet this flop. Would you do the same thing with AK, or KQ? The only hand you can fear drawing here is JQ. So I'd check the flop and call a bet and look to move my money in on the turn or river.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd limp here, nonetheless...

What will he think you have if you bet this flop. Would you do the same thing with AK, or KQ? The only hand you can fear drawing here is JQ. So I'd check the flop and call a bet and look to move my money in on the turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this game I limp 99, 10 10 from this position about 50/50. As the game gets deeper and more aggressive after guys drink I'm inclinded to limp, but with the tight table conditions I chose to raise.

I'd play AA, AK, or a huge hand (KK, 10 10)with a big bet on the flop and he knows this.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Bet half the pot. You're not giving a free card and he will push with a number of holdings. Make it look like a stopper bet with a good draw.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM

Youre friend needs to stop making such gay reraises
Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While your suggestion is 'badass' I happen to like his 'gay raises'. He's cheaply defining his hand. I may give him a Christmas gift next year.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 AM

You are right to think that you need to protect the big pot. However, since your buddy is so likely to bet and you have the others trapped in the middle if he does, you have a perfect setup for checkraising all in. I cannot see any other play assuming your assumptions are correct.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While your suggestion is 'badass' I happen to like his 'gay raises'. He's cheaply defining his hand. I may give him a Christmas gift next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defining your hand is quite a silly and pointless concept. Does a barely less than minimum raise actually define anything to you? Or does it reveal things to your opponent? Stop turning your hands into 72o.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:16 AM

The check-raise all in seems to be the right play. It's very likely someone will bet.

Leading for around half pot is the 2nd best play.

I like to limp TT in games like these early. It doesn't seem that tight a game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ryan
Old 12-28-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's definitely defining his hand... for his opponents.
When I see people who make tiny reraises with hands, which can be narrowed down to JJ+, I sort of want to buy them a shirt that says "LOTS OF IMPLIED ODDS HERE!"