Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: The Sucker Project 2.0

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
right away I am hit with a spot I hate. I min popped him back because I wanted to invest as little as possible, but still showing a lot of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's leak #1. The flop will miss you 60%+ of the time and people at the 11's like calling. What is the point of this? Just push, KJ will call.

[ QUOTE ]
cold call.. I dont mind this with AKs, but I hate going to the flop with great position with a great hand without the lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What's wrong with not having the lead?

** Dealing Flop ** [ 3s, Ah, Ts ]

Either he has an ace and will call a bigger bet than 75, or he has no ace and will not call anything. Just check and give him a freebie if you feel like slowplaying, half his outs make you the nuts anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar,

i forgive you as you probably haven't played a low limit sng in a while. but, most players play any two suited. those spades on the board are sucker's friend.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:24 PM

They don't raise to 70 with any two suited, though, do they (given sucker has the A and K)? If they do I'm out of touch, but you should still either check or bet more than a third.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't raise to 70 with any two suited, though, do they (given sucker has the A and K)? If they do I'm out of touch, but you should still either check or bet more than a third.

[/ QUOTE ]

touche, i forgot the pf actions when considering this.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touche, i forgot the pf actions when considering this.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, take the touche back...I see people raise all sorts of suited crap in level I...he could have anything. But I admit the preflop raise CUTS BACK on the probability.

I hate to admit this, but playing the 11s is like playing PLO8...I play my own hand.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 PM

GL with your project I would suggest getting up to 1320 and moving to the 20's, thats 60 buyins and a little less headaches

Watch out for DProf1080, I here he is a pro, hahahhaha (Its not me so you don't have to worry) Keep us posted.

Seth
Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 PM

At the 11s I don't min reraise AK from late position. There is no need to grow the pot as they will pay you off with all their chips with Ax, TT-KK when you spike your ace.

And if you miss you're continuation bet isn't worth a damn, cause they'll call with anything.

I don't mind the check behind on the flop, but I rarely like to give up a betting opportunity with the best hand in the 11s.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:21 PM

And if you miss you're continuation bet isn't worth a damn, cause they'll call with anything.

See... we need to come to an agreement as to how people will react. In this thread alone people have said the opposit things. The 11s are unpredictable, but what about the 22s. 33s and 55s. How do people react in general.

Is it better to get HU and use position or get them all in preflop.

I like using position and I have what I think is a solid reason. When your all in you are all in... Sure this may be the best way to double up, but it is also the fastest way to lose.

Isn't survival the key #1 thing in a low level SnG?

Im curious to see some of the opposite thinkers say. I know there are those that play ULTRA tight early , and those that try to shake things up a bit more then usual.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:50 AM

By just calling you disguise the strength of your hand a bit and he may c-bet into you when you have the best hand. Call is much better than minraise here.

On the flop, you have the best hand and the best draw. Just check and give him a chance to bluff! He might bet 99 if you check the flop, he might go for a turn check raise with nothing if he's really tricky, but by raising preflop and betting the flop he's not playing back at you without a good ace which is only a fraction of his hand range.

I might play this hand this way if I thought he was raising light and tight postflop and wanted to steal the pot away from him.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 AM

Through my last 200 $10 SNGs, I've tightened up ALOT in the first 1-3 levels, and am showing a 32% ROI so far (in that small span, which I DO accredit a bit to my tightening). That being said.....

[ QUOTE ]
I like using position and I have what I think is a solid reason. When your all in you are all in... Sure this may be the best way to double up, but it is also the fastest way to lose.

Isn't survival the key #1 thing in a low level SnG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this statement. Every independant hand in poker is completely situational (of course), but with AK, my initital tendency in early levels facing a raise in front of me is to just call along and use my position as best as is possible. Many players tend to think of AK as the "holy grail" of hands, so it seems, and overplay it alot. I've found that by not getting retarded with it, my results with it have improved dramatically. I'm not saying that I WON'T re-raise or push with it, it's just that those 2 options are not "standard" for me at levels 1-3 of small buy-in SNGs.

Also, if I'm in either blind and 3+ limpers or a min-raiser and a couple of callers are in, I prefer to call with AK again (once again, early on in a SNG.... perhaps not in mid-game or late stages) due to the fact that the only thing that is going to basically get me the pot is a push or large raise, which I personally don't like to do with AK unless I'm short-stacked or have good reads on the players already involved.

You can't win a SNG in the first 1-3 levels, but you sure as hell can lose it. I just prefer to not get overly aggressive until I feel that I'm in a position to take control of the table or I'm in dire straights.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's leak #1. The flop will miss you 60%+ of the time and people at the 11's like calling. What is the point of this? Just push, KJ will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that I completely disagree with. I respect your play and posts, adanthar, but AA-TT and possibly some other smaller pairs will call as well. It's not always going to be that way, but stating that KJ will call seems somewhat silly.

Please tell me why you would push AKs at level 1 of a SNG with only a few chips to gain and an average stack? You're not getting any value from the hand, and only better hands are going to call (for the most part... not always, but most likely).

From my experience, I haven't seen too many players dumb enough to call an all-in with KJ (or similar) at level 1 of a SNG without being short-stacked.

Maybe many in here will disagree, but I think pushing (without reads) with an average stack early in a SNG with AKs is a mistake for the most part.

Just my 2 cents, though.....