Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Default One that you guys won\'t like...

In order for you to understand my rational fo this hand, you need to know about the hand right before it.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

UTG+1 showed k5o and took it down.

So, on to the next hand.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

UTG+2 is solid 18/12, but i figure his range must have expanded after watching the last hand. The othery guy cold-called 3 in 2 straight hands and was like 40/5, so i wasnt to worried about him. So, what do we think of this cap? We'll get to postflop in a bit.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: One that you guys won\'t like...

[ QUOTE ]
In order for you to understand my rational fo this hand, you need to know about the hand right before it.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

UTG+1 showed k5o and took it down.

So, on to the next hand.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

UTG+2 is solid 18/12, but i figure his range must have expanded after watching the last hand. The othery guy cold-called 3 in 2 straight hands and was like 40/5, so i wasnt to worried about him. So, what do we think of this cap? We'll get to postflop in a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like your rationale for capping. You probably have the best hand so this is a nice cap for value. However being out of position is also a disadvantage in this hand which would lead me to just call out of the BB. I think whether you cap here or just call here is close enough in expectation where it doesnt really matter which choice you choose.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:11 PM

My primary reason for capping was to put pressure on the Tag who 3 bet preflop. If he has a hand like 77-99, i want to put maximum pressure so i can fold him out on some Kxx, JTx flops.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Given the circumstances, I like it a lot. This is one of those instances where coldcalling would narrow your range down a lot in the eyes of the TAG, but capping adds all your cold calling hands (with a "may as well cap anyway) and all the standard cap-worthy hands. I think it'll make it a lot harder for the TAG to play this well, knowing he's no stuck inbetween the 2 of you.

lf
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My primary reason for capping was to put pressure on the Tag who 3 bet preflop. If he has a hand like 77-99, i want to put maximum pressure so i can fold him out on some Kxx, JTx flops.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good points. However, If the other two opponents are the type to always go to the showdown and call with any chance of winning this aspect of your cap loses a lot of value. But these are good points nonetheless and it was something i did not consider.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:28 PM

standardism. everyone on this board is capping there. if the flop came down AQ3, and solid guy showed AA after you each put in a million bets, dont sweat it.
BTW/ id fold the turn in hand 1. this guy threebet UTG+1 and the baord is paired. i dont like your hand.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy threebet UTG+1 and the baord is paired. i dont like your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like AQ v.s. an early postion 3-bet, but I'm confused about the flop pairing statement. I thought a flop with paired Ts is a good thing for A high. It is less likely that it paired your opponent, hidden outs, etc.

Can you explain why the paired board is bad for A high?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like AQ v.s. an early postion 3-bet, but I'm confused about the flop pairing statement. I thought a flop with paired Ts is a good thing for A high. It is less likely that it paired your opponent, hidden outs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]he has AJ.
because the guy may have a full, or he make make one with same card that give hero a straight or TP. i dont think GGB was playing his hand for the best hand here. however, i am under impression that hero had seen anything too out of line from this guy yet... of course, once he sees the K5 hand, he may want to get a raise or two in for value LOL.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]he has AJ.
because the guy may have a full, or he make make one with same card that give hero a straight or TP. i dont think GGB was playing his hand for the best hand here. however, i am under impression that hero had seen anything too out of line from this guy yet... of course, once he sees the K5 hand, he may want to get a raise or two in for value LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

gottcha. so, its the Ts in combination with the K that you don't like... not just that the flop is paried. That makes more sense to me. I thought you were speaking generically about a high paired flop.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Default hand 1: the turn

You are correct, i had not seen anything too out of line from the guy in hand 1. However, i felt that 8-1 was good enough against his hand range to peel. It's closer than i thought initially, but i think you can go either way here.