Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues...

OReilly has whats called a "Political Talk Show" where its his job to express his opinion on virtually everything. WTF else do you expect him to do on such a show? You don't like him because you disagree with him. Meanwhile, your moral stance is 'make all drugs legal', 'down with religion', and '[censored] the establishment'.

Like I said, go back to your drum circle

-Matt
Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues...

... there would be less poverty in the world, far more money would be spent on health and education, there would be real choices every 4 years as to which kind of government the country wants and pundits wouldn't exist.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-

Anyone with an IQ above the retardation line...
Bush is a Jesus freak...
O'Reilly is just a big dousche...
And ya, [censored] the establishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than anything, if the public was totally educated on all the issues they would recognize that on each one there are at least two and usually more legitimate views on it. As a result, they probably wouldn't use terms dirogatory terms like "retardation," "Jesus freak," and "dousche," to describe people who don't entirely line up with their thinking.

Posts like this emphasize the ignorance pervading America these days. It doesn't make you appear enlightened. I go to school at the epitome of a "college campus" and the self-righteous talk coming from liberal democrats is just as self-righteous as the self-righteous talk coming from conservative Republicans that cloak all their political objectives in religious rhetoric.

Grow up. Quit calling people names and try to see their side of the issue. Then, talk to them and begin to find a middle ground. If you're unwilling to talk to the "enemy" or find a middle ground, please do everyone a favor and stay out of politics.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:28 PM

The world would come to an end.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issue

[ QUOTE ]
typical hippie college kid response

drugs, drugs, hating on bill o'reilly, getting high, more drugs, and umm, down with the establishment.

Go back to your drum circle

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical suit-and-tie stick-up-your-ass depressed and uninformed old-fogie response.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OReilly has whats called a "Political Talk Show" where its his job to express his opinion on virtually everything. WTF else do you expect him to do on such a show? You don't like him because you disagree with him. Meanwhile, your moral stance is 'make all drugs legal', 'down with religion', and '[censored] the establishment'.

Like I said, go back to your drum circle

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many well documented cases where Bill O'Reilly has simply lied about things. Small things, big things, it doesn't matter-- he will never tell the truth when the truth hurts his position, imo.

I am fairly liberal (I am pro-life and mostly pro-trade, but other than that I am more or less a leftist), and one of my favorite commentators on tv is Tucker Carlson. I don't hardly ever agree with him, but he seems a bit more intelligent than most. Bill O'Reilly is unintelligent and, frankly, unethical, as his sexual harrassment scandal indicated.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More than anything, if the public was totally educated on all the issues they would recognize that on each one there are at least two and usually more legitimate views on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever happened to the subjunctive mood? "If the public WERE totally educated..." b/c it is a conditional contrary to fact. But I digress...

As for your substantive claim, are you advocating relativism? It seems like if someone were in possession of 100% of the facts on an issue, there would be one and only one correct opinion. For example, the Catholic Church is either God's pilgrim church on Earth or it is not. Genocide is either morally acceptable or it is not (abortion too). Saddam Hussein was either stockpiling weapons of mass destruction or he was not. Bush's tax cuts either were the best possible way to stimulate the economy or they were not. I could continue, but I won't.

If you believe that a person in possession of 100% of the facts on an issue could still form two reasonable and mutually exclusive opinions, you are a relativist, and it seems to me that that kind of world view is self-refuting. This is because if two mutually exclusive assertions about the world can both be true, than it is simultaneously true and not true that two mutually exclusive assertions about the world can both be true.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 PM

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."
--George W. Bush commenting to Texas evangelist James Robinson in the run-up to his presidential campaign

"I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed."
Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas

If the Jesus freak shoe fits...

Unlike conservatives, I don't care what an individual does in his/her spare time. Whether it's smoking pot or praying to Christ. I just can't stand when Bush mixes his government with his Jesus. Not everyone of his constituants shares his religious beliefs.

The biggest problem I have with Bush is that he is so steadfast in his belief that he is 100 percent correct in everything he does. Believing in an absolute truth can be potenially damaging. Ancient Chinese proverb, "No matter how far down the wrong path, turn around."
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issue

[ QUOTE ]
"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."
--George W. Bush commenting to Texas evangelist James Robinson in the run-up to his presidential campaign

"I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed."
Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas

If the Jesus freak shoe fits...

Unlike conservatives, I don't care what an individual does in his/her spare time. Whether it's smoking pot or praying to Christ. I just can't stand when Bush mixes his government with his Jesus. Not everyone of his constituants shares his religious beliefs.

The biggest problem I have with Bush is that he is so steadfast in his belief that he is 100 percent correct in everything he does. Believing in an absolute truth can be potenially damaging. Ancient Chinese proverb, "No matter how far down the wrong path, turn around."

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this argument. Kudos.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 AM

...it would cease to fit the definition of 'the public.'

NT