Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Extracting value from the nuts.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) CP hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero???

To me it's pretty clear the BB has an overpair or a set. Most likely an overpair. He's been pretty passive so far and the 3-bet is definitely out of character. When the CO calls 2 cold it's pretty obvious he's not going anywhere. Cap it here or call and go for the turn check/raise?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Extracting value from the nuts.

If he has a set, you have to charge him to draw out on you. Cap the flop, bet/cap the turn
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 AM

Given everyone's position, I cap it and keep putting bets in. You're likely to lose CO on the turn no matter what you do, so your two options if you call here are to lead the turn and check-raise the turn. Both of which will be bigger displays of power than just continuing to raise. I keep putting bets in as long as CO is willing to pad the pot.

Incidentally, if this was heads up, I'd be all "dear baby, welcome to check-raise, population, you."
Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 AM

*Grunch*

Please cap the flop! You have the advantage with the str8 right now and you are better off getting in extra bets here then waiting for the turn.

Also lead out on the turn. Again, press your advantage!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 AM

cap flop bet turn

hopefully BB raises you and CO calls with his A7 for his gutshot
Old 11-01-2005, 09:15 AM

You do not need the call button on this hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, you might if the board pairs. Until then, though...
Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I didn't use it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But immediately after capping the flop then having both players call me down when I led the turn and river I though, "I could have gotten an extra BB out of that hand by check/raising the turn" My thinking may have been results oriented because I'm 99% sure it would have worked. I guess what I'm really asking is there ever a time in situations like this when just calling the 3-bet on the flop then check/raising the turn with your monster is a better play than capping and leading? I've seen it work a few times, but I'm always deathly afraid of the turn getting checked through.

In this hand the BB had QQ, and if an A or K fell he likely would have checked, and I'd have missed out big. I guess it's a pretty marginal situation either way and I should be getting bets in when I know they're going in.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 PM

In general:

Multiway Pot + Out of Position = Aggressive, Straightforward Play.

Cap the flop now, as long as everyone is still interested. Bet the turn and hope the board doesn't pair and you get raised somewhere. Betting often allows you to get more bets in than check-raising or slowplaying, because it encourages players with sets and such to play back at you. In limit hold'em, where we only have a few chances to get money in (in incremental amounts) forgoing opportunities to do so in order to be "tricky" or "deceptive" is often a big failure when up against another very good but inferior hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM

I find that at 6-max people never believe you've got a monster hand (if you're at a good table, that is). They think you're capping with top pair. Bet and raise.