Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default Re: Help me build my mp3 collection. Letter S

[ QUOTE ]
gorie:
Where did you see the SNBs play in Green Bay? Concert Cafe? That place was the jam! If you lived there in the late 90s you probably saw my band play, but we were somewhat terrible so I'm not going to tell you our name.

Anyway, very nice list. Not much to add to that, except to delete Screwdriver. Not so good.

How about:
Sleeper: Smart
and just to be clever:
Sleepers: The Less an Object

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

yep - at the concert cafe.! late 90s is when i use to go there. i really miss that place, i haven't seen any bands since it closed down. i use to do the website for it too so i got to see shows for free [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i'm curious now what band you were in !? i was never very hip so i might not even recognize it. i mostly just went for certain bands.

actually i don't really listen to skrewdriver, the only song i can think of offhand is 'we don't pose' , that one is alright. i don't think they suck, but they can't be anything too outstanding if i don't know them better than i do by now.

so what band was it ?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 07:45 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My whole approach to commenting about music with people I don't know is to encourage them to look outside the usual sources to find stuff that they like. This stuff might sound very similar to the mainstream stuff they like, but they are not aware of it because they have not widened their scope. In my opinion, it is usually better, because the commercial influence is not so pervasive and bands are not asked to mold their sound to fit the radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.
i also think it's funny that some people are under the impression that bands like the white stripes , hives, and the strokes just magically came out of nowhere as acceptable mainstream bands and never existed until they were mainstream. because if they did that would make them crappy bands, right ? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, since this is probably directed at least partially at me, I completely agree with you guys and am not one to only listen to mainstream bands. That said, I'm also not some elitist jackass who automatically drops a band as soon as they sign to a major label. I really don't care whether the band is huge or not. I'm not saying you guys are doing this, but the elitist attitude gets very old very fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, i wasn't really directing my comment at you , just people in general that kind of bring the "if its not mainstream it must suck" way of thinking into music discussions.

i know you were just trying to be funny with the emo comment, it just wasn't. but that's ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i'm with you, i don't care if a band is huge or not either. at all. i just like what i like.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:11 PM

I care. I'd rather give my money to Joe Blow Records than AOL/Time Warner/CNN records.

But that does not make band A better musically than band B due to the label they are on.

KJS
Old 08-26-2005, 08:26 PM

You have a pretty good list going there. Here are some I think you would like based on your range of tastes. Some have been stated already but I'll duplicate.

Smiths - Albums mentioned already
Slint - Spiderland
Spirtualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
Spirtualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space
Spacemen 3 - Pefect Perscription
Stereolab - Transient Random noise bursts...
Stereolab - Empero Tomato Ketchup
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Slowdive - Souvlaki -- don't miss this one
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

There's probably more, but I don't currently have an MP3 player and my cd's aren't alphabatized.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Sparta - Wiretap Scars
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

EDIT - Well, both of these have already been mentioned, so just let me say that I have nothing to contribute to this thread.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you must go lossy, then it has to be Ogg Vorbis level 5-6. Piss on all this MP3 crap!

[/ QUOTE ] Huh? I don't speak nerd very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ogg is a better audio compression format than MP3. Both are lossy, which means you're losing data in the compression. Contrary to popular belief, these files are NOT "CD quality" because they throw out information about the real high and real low frequencies. WAV is uncompressed lossless audio (more or less). There are other compression schemes that are lossless, FLAC for example. These files are compressed and are smaller than WAV files, but they are still much larger than MP3s or OGGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all true, but you can't put OGG on an iPod. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Something Corporate-Ready...Break

[/ QUOTE ]

for the record i am NOT a 16 yr old girl

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a little too hardcore for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

GoT
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Something Corporate-Ready...Break

[/ QUOTE ]

for the record i am NOT a 16 yr old girl

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a little too hardcore for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, of course. Did you not read the rest of the post?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you must go lossy, then it has to be Ogg Vorbis level 5-6. Piss on all this MP3 crap!

[/ QUOTE ] Huh? I don't speak nerd very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ogg is a better audio compression format than MP3. Both are lossy, which means you're losing data in the compression. Contrary to popular belief, these files are NOT "CD quality" because they throw out information about the real high and real low frequencies. WAV is uncompressed lossless audio (more or less). There are other compression schemes that are lossless, FLAC for example. These files are compressed and are smaller than WAV files, but they are still much larger than MP3s or OGGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all true, but you can't put OGG on an iPod. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. What a POS.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Anyone mentioned The Specials yet? If not try their eponymous debut - It's the Dog's [censored]' bollocks!