Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Computer Emergency

Well, in a moment of genius I deleted just about all of the data on my machine today and seriously screwed everything up. I am not really that upset, as most of the stuff I had was either replaceable or uneccessary. What I need help with is this; One of the only salvageable things left is my "My Music" folder (around 9 GB). I need to get this off my HD temporarily as I do a system restore, and then just put it back after I am done.

What is the easiest and fastest way to do this? (I have a DVD and CD burner)
Old 06-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Computer Emergency

The easiest and fastest way to do this is buy an external HD and copy to it. They are cheap now, see?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Computer Emergency

I haven't used windows in years so don't know what system restore is. It used to be that deleted data could be overwritten by almost any disc operation making recovery impossible but maybe system restore partitions off "deleted" data so that that can't happen?

I'd burn the music to DVD but only if your software does not cache data (or there's an option to tell it not to cache). Like I said, writing to disc runs the risk of rendering the deleted data irretrievable (unless system restore somehow protects deleted data)...

Mike